Bake texture to UV Space..

Hello everyone! I’m just beginning to grasp modelling in blender, and I’m taking a peek at texturing for sculpty’s in second life. You’ve probably gotten a lot of these questions, but I don’t think any have this specific question in topic.

For question reference, I’m trying to meld techniques between these two tutorials:
http://www.qarl.com/qLab/?p=18 (utilizes maya, but the idea is what is important)
http://www.bentha.net/sculpted2/Blender-to-sculpted.html (self explanatory url)

If you’re familiar with sculpties, you already know that you need to bake a displacement map to an arranged GRID of vertices (about 64x64 most of the time iirc) by using “Follow Active (quads)” (from tutorial link). That means that instead of having a nice looking unwrapped wireframe that gives you some clue as to how to paint onto it, i.e. you can see eyes and a mouth- all the vertices have been arranged into a 64x64 grid in order to deform the sculpty according to color and placement. It is -very- hard to paint a uv texture onto a grid… ^_^;;

This is where my question comes in to play… so the idea that I’ve basically got is the following:

Unwrap and paint over wireframe guides like you normally would… then somehow recalculate the texture to fit the GRID of points, so it’ll end up looking something like the following ->

Problematically, I have no idea to go about this. Is there a tutorial or a method someone could show me? I’ll be ecstatic if there’s a solution for this in Blender.

Have you tried Render -> Bake Render Meshes -> Textures Only? I think there should be some documentation on render baking in the 2.43 release notes or on the wiki.

Note quite =\ … I need to paint my texture via the usual method, then I need to get blender to somehow reposition the pixels in the image to fit the mesh in a grid formation in the UV window- any way to get the pixels to follow into the new formation?

Well one thing you can do is after you apply the shape keys to get the grid, then save it. Now go back and select just one or three faces and save a picture of that too.

You can do that several times in different areas to give you an idea of the placement of your painting. You can layer each over the next.

Paint, and try it on, paint some more and try it on.

This is the only way these can be unwrapped?

That’s exactly what it does :slight_smile: The render baking bakes the rendered pixels into the active UV layer, so all you need to do is create a new UV layer with the unwrap you want, and bake your previous UV texture into the new layout.

I think what you want is exactly what’s being shown in this video:
http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/features/feature-videos/?video=multi_uv

cheers

Oh my gosh! I think that’s exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you so much! I should be able to get a chance to try this out over the weekend after my tests XD omg omg omg omg!! Thank you both!

Here is the wiki page on render baking.

Delirium (or anyone): if you can successfully bake an image texture mapped to one set of UV coordinates onto another set, please let me know. Not sure what I’m doing wrong but I can’t get it to work. If it really is possible I will add it to the Render Bake wiki page.

CD38: You just have to specify the original UV coords of your texture by name in the map input tab, then set the active UV set to the new one to be baked into before baking.

broken: thanks, I was not setting the new UV set as active (I can never remember whether a “dark” or “light” button means active). Will add this as an interesting side note to the wiki page.

I was able to do it- this was what I was looking for, thank you!

Is there a way to imrpove the final bake quality though? It’s turning out very pixelated.

when you first define your UV (blank) image, specify a higher resolution, like instead of 256x256, choose 512x512

512 isn’t large enough, I think it needs to be a one to one ratio, I don’t think blender will pack dpi into an image… the 2000x2000 looks better, not as good, but better. I can probably resize in gimp to save size later on. Anyone know of something I might be missing? :slight_smile: I really appreciate the help guys, I wasn’t able to piece the knowledge together from anywhere else- thank you so much!

Here are the images, one is the original, the other is the render bake texture:
http://www.studiometal.com/blender/

Dpi is just a measure of image resolution which is generally used to produce quality prints. Rosettes deform badly at monitor resolution leaving you with prints whose textures look like they’ve been run over by a by a lawn mower. That’s why print resolution is 300 dpi. Moving pictures for video or the web are always limited by monitor resolution. High frequency textures are always turned to mud on a monitor because of this (texture aliasing), thus apps rendering motion pictures are generally unconcerned with dpi because the high frequency textures will produce a screening effect regardless of resolution. Pixels suck.

Those chicks look really nice but the skin shading needs some serious help. They look like they’re painted for war.

Ahh I gotcha, makes sense now =)

– I just grabbed that picture for the purpose of practicing, I don’t know who the artist is.

Ok I know this is and old thread. But I posted this question in a new thread adn never got and answer. How do you make a gridlike uv layout for and irregular object?