Bake Wrangler is a nodes based extension and replacement for the inbuilt baking system. The aim is to provide a highly configurable but easy to use baking system with all the extra features you really wish you had.
Bake Wrangler beta 0.9.1 (batch-cooking):
This update is all about batch baking. Output Image nodes can now be connected to a Batch Bake node to perform all your bakes with one click:
This is one of the last major features I wanted to add. I want to focus on polishing things up and tweaking minor features in preperation for non-beta release. So please report any out standing bugs and request tweaks/polish that you think is missing!
-Point 1 update:
Preference loading problem should be fixed now. Also added a work-around to try to maintain file dirty status along with the ability to select which UV map to use if the object has more than one.
Bake Wrangler beta 0.8.2 (collectionbake):
Two major changes in this update. Firstly the way color spaces are handled has been changed as an undesirable side effect was introduced due to changes in 0.7 which meant the gamma setting was being applied to saved images. Color spaces should now be correct in saved images.
Secondly the High Poly node has been renamed and reworked to ‘Bake From’ node. It now has the ability to select non-empty Collections and the option to include sub-collections. Curves have also been added as a valid object type. This mostly happened thanks to @Darknoodles contributing some code and testing the workflow.
The main missing features as I see it now are the batch baking node and some ability to deal with mix shaders. Please report any bugs or work flow issues you have so they can be ironed out for the 1.0 release.
Bake Wrangler beta 0.8 (bakeimage):
Apologies, it has been a while between updates. However it’s sometimes difficult to find time to work on projects that don’t put food in my stomach.
This update brings the ‘Bake Image’ work flow into play (the button on the Output Image Path node that has been disabled all this time). I’m not sure how useful people will find it, but I think it’s good for when you just want to update one bake in your project.
The ‘Color’ socket should always be generated first (if it’s connected), the order of the other channels depends on your node set up. But their processing order shouldn’t matter.
The build passes all my tests and there isn’t a large amount of new logic, but as always please report any bugs here!
Bake Wrangler beta 0.7 (imageset):
Adds support for all image format settings. Output to alpha channel will now work when using a format that supports alpha.
- Choose Color Space (sRGB, Linear, Non-Color, etc)
- Choose format (BW, RGB, RGBA)
- Choose depth (8, 16, 32, etc)
Note: There are a lot of possible settings and I haven’t tested all the combinations, but they should be working. Report if you find any problems!
Bake Wrangler beta 0.6.1 (imagespeed):
Small update to fix an issue with multires and masks. Also improved the speed of the image manipulation step and made connections to image channels behave in a more useful and sensibile way:
Color socket to a R/G/B socket will now take that color (eg Color to B socket will take B channel from the Color). Channel (R/G/B) socket to a Color socket works the same, but in reverse (eg B to Color socket will write B channel to the Color).
Bake Wrangler beta 0.6:
This update fixes a number of bugs, improves the UI and feed back along with new features to fully support all bake types and options. This version should be much more robust and handle many weird cases that would cause the previous version to fail.
- All built-in bake types supported with all options.
- Additional bake passes for Principled shader: Albedo, Metalness
- Bake and Save at different resolutions
- Bake directly to specific image channels (alpha currently not working)
- Masking with separate sample count for baking multiple passes to one image
- Support for Multires and Cages
- All baking takes place in the background using a separate copy of the data. Nothing is changed in your scene and you can continue working while images bake without problems.
Planned Features (by 1.0 release):
- Implement the ‘Bake Image’ work flow (currently only ‘Bake Pass’ workflow is enabled)
- Full batch grouping support to bake multiple passes and/or images with a single button
Desired Features (depending on community support):
- As part of batch support, one click previewing of baked textures on selected model
- Selecting of Collections in addition to objects (big time saving for very large projects)
- Automatic file naming for batch output (%O, etc)
- Additional node types for cleaner layouts, rerouting, grouping, etc
- Additional post processing nodes, like Anti-aliasing (can already sort of do this by baking and saving at different sizes)
- Add selected to High Poly node
- Extra features as desired and requested by the users