Baking multires displacement map - hardly any detail

Hello,
I have been able to generate a Displacement map from Multires, but the resulting map has a low level of detail. I am able to generate a Normal map from Multires and oddly, it has a level of detail I’d expect.

I am not certain why this is happening. I have tried all manner of different options and settings to generate the Multires Displacement map to no avail and I am wondering if my computer is the culprit as the model is a portrait with about 15,000,000 vertices.

If anyone would like to try generating a Multires Displacement map on their computer with this model and see if it is different from what I generate, I can provide a link to the model to download (240 Mb). I’d just need your email to share from Google Drive. Thanks in advance!

Does it really have low details level? Do you know that for tiny imperfections like the bump of the pores the difference in the grey values is too small to be visible? Probably the map is right but you cannot see that.

If you pay really close attention you will see that they are there. Very subtle, though.

Hello Rodrigo. Yes it does have low detail. This is from a course and the instructor’s displacement map has a LOT more detail. But it’s possible my model has low pore detail. So that is but one of the reasons I am curious if someone else’s Multires Displacement map generation would be identical.

Nothing could be better than making a test with your maps. It doesn’t really matter how it looks compared to others, but if it works on the conditions of your model.

Are you sure you followed the video closely? I just checked it.

You bake from the render level to the Viewport. When you have 6 and 6 in both the details are not there but with render level to 6 and viewport to 0 or 1 it works fine. Try that.

Oh and you forgot the lips?

1 Like

Thanks Rodrigo. You are right for sure. A test is in order.

Thanks for the response 3DArtGuy. I have done everything correctly and even the instructor is stumped.

This model is the second one I have made because of this problem. I did not complete all the texturing as I wanted to see if a new model would do the same thing. There are no wrinkles, micro-bumps, and larger skin distortions either.

Send me the file but it might take a couple days since I am in the hot phase of finishing my degree.