Baking Normal map from duplicated Low poly - is that possible?

Hi, is it possible to take smooth shaded low poly object (ie head) and do this:
Duplicate it, set smooth shading, sculpt detail, bake normal map and use it on low poly object?

When i do that, the normal map contains some artifacts right after duplication and setting smooth shade. I cant achieve normal map to be one colored after duplication.

Am i missing something? Or what is the correct workflow for adding details via normal map, when i have only low poly object?

Using Cycles and 2.75a

Hi, is it possible to take smooth shaded low poly object (ie head) and do this:
Duplicate it, set smooth shading, sculpt detail, bake normal map and use it on low poly object?
Yes, that’s what normal maps are used for.

When i do that, the normal map contains some artifacts right after duplication and setting smooth shade. I cant achieve normal map to be one colored after duplication.

Am i missing something?
Well, we’re missing any screenshots and example blend file that clearly demonstrates what you are talking about. Much easier for those who may want to help you which currently relies purely on guesswork.

Thanks for reply, screenshot and blend file is here:

blend file: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/37474

I expected the baked normal map to have only one color, when the meshes are same.
My goal is to have original low-poly smooth-shaded model and add something like a scar via normal map.
I guess i am missing some step, where i have to subdivide the duplicate, so the duplicated mesh will be actually smoothed, not flat.

Ok, I guess I’ve figured it out.

The normal map baked from duplicate was not one-colored because of non-planar faces in Suzanne model.
At first, I thought there are artifacts on baked normal map, but it was just correctly computed normal map of non-planar faces.
The baked normal map works well. Thanks for your time.

Are non-planar faces bad and should i always split them after modeling?