Baking tips and tricks...for large interiors...and always check your normals/face orientation!

Hi all - having made some good progress into the world of baking (colour, light/shadow only so far), I have some questions regarding how a model is best divided up into sections, and how this affects the finished output.

I’m working with a series of large interior scenes, each with several ‘rooms’ - which will be exported as .glb files for use in online navigable 3D environments. I have built these up of a number of sections so that the baked textures are of a similar size/resolution for each separate part/mesh.

When plugging in the baked textures I’ve found that there are often visible lines or seams at the point at which two meshes/texures join. Is this normal? Is the best way to avoid this simply to only place the joins at points in the model where it would be least visible - a corner for example?

Also if you have a large, uninterupted floor area which needs to be divided up and baked to several textures, how can this be done so that the material ‘tiles’ seamlessly across the adjacent sections, without having nasty mismatched joins where the sections meet?

As a side note - not enough of the baking tuturials out there mention that you can save yourself a LOT of head scratching by remembering to check the face orientation. I was getting black bakes for hours because of this problem. And it is so easy to fix too!

That’s all for now - thanks for reading!

Do you have padding around the UV islands? Including padding may help with the seams. If you use normal maps, you may also want to try exporting with geometry vertex tangents enabled in the .glb export settings.