Base Battle

D.bredy: Umm… Your point was? Utter n00b me thinks

Fabled Face: Listen Everyone, it is JUST A MENU lol how many times do I need to say. I will have gameplay up perhaps on wednesday.

What I have done so far is make a simple museum type thingy, got a simple museum setup going, and I got some movements for the character(right now a simple cube)

Heres a queestion I have for you guys: How do I get the camera to avoid walls with out using python??

Not possible, the camera doesn’t have any dynamics, so the only thing to do, so it avoids walls, is to change the position to a certain place, with python.

Well… It’ll be much harder with logic bricks… I would to make rays in all directions and if a wall is detected move the opposite way from the wall. But it’s very hard to make it flawless, that’s why you need python… Look in the resource section! There are many python scripts you can use for this…

Or I may of misunderstood the question…

It’s possible with python… I’m not going to tell you how though… you seem very python savvy, so you should be able to figure it out no problem =) Surely someone who can code a multiplayer system can code simple camera dynamics :wink:

Anyway, solution to your stating it’s a menu so many times… learn from it… next time post some progress of the game, no one once to look at a menu for hours =)

killer: Yes, I know how to do it in python, but I want to do it with Logic Bricks(Because I will enter two verisons of my game(with and without python))

linkxgl: I have tried using rays, but it doesn’t seem to work. Maybe because of the parent?

Well, I don’t know, but I think the way to go, if you want to just use logic bricks, is just to use the camera actuator, because if you noticed with any camera collision script your positioning the camera to an empty so it doesn’t go through the wall, you can’t do that with logic bricks.

Or you can use slow parenting so the camera is always behind the character.

Or maybe you should just enter your game for gameplay and not with just logic bricks, because the AI doesn’t seem likes it’s going to be simple.

With only logic bricks it’s not possible to create a flawless camera, with camera collisions and things like that.

Anyways, good luck on the game,
Linkxgl

Here is my progress report for the Game:
Menu - 95%(Subject to change)
Level - 5%(Test Level)
Gameplay - 10%
Texturing 5%(Menu :P)
Animating 5%(Menu lol)
Programming 0%
Modeling 5%

So, why’d you start with the menu?

MentlTurkey: To get myself motivated to mke the game :slight_smile:
Ok, well I decided that I WON"T be entering the logic brick only catagory. I will have python for the server/client and I will hae python for the mouse, perhaps mouse look, and I have a camera python script too. There will probably be even more scripts to do stuff such as when you steal an item, it adds the value to a stolen items property.

Actually, I might just have my whole company work on this project together. If you would like to help, sign up at diexon.ucoz.com and send me a PM there. For the game competition I will make a simpler game(but it will still have multiplayer ;)). For an example of the game I might make, go to armorgames.com and search “colony”

So whats the competition entry gonna be?

I guess I’ll make a game similar to colony. I don’t think I will be able to finish Thief: Police Chase in time. I am putting up a poll on diexon.ucoz.com for which game diexon should make, an aiplane game or Thief. Go there and you can vote :slight_smile: But I will make a game like colony by myself for the contest.
Here is what I have so far:

lol man, your switching projects already? I think you should only work on one of own projects and be in teams, but don’t switch games so fast, people won’t take you serusly.

Also, you say you know how to do multiplayer. Please show us!

see ya,
Linkxgl

Linkxgl: Show you the scripts, or a demo of multiplayer? I would but I still have a few things to work out of the script. I am not switching projects, I am just making this a team project and taking a new project to work on myself for the contest. As I said, thief wouldn’t be finished in-time.

Lets see a video showing the multiplayer system in action! I’m having a hard time believing that networking is as simple as you make it seem… good luck anyways!

TheDawish: I’ll put one up in a few hours hopfully
EDIT: Wait…First I need a screen capture program…lol

Ambitious!!! GOOD

umm thanks, OriginalBBB!

uh, looks a lot like a remake of the recent flash game Colony (the building squares around a main base, and you send units across the map…)

Yes, I said The basic idea is from Colony. I will change it more a little later thogh

I mean I test video. Sorry I was at school when I wrote the comment.

You know like:
A cube in one computer and on another computer. You press on one computer, and boh cubes move or rotate or any kind of transformation.
Then disconnect the computer from the internet, and press the up arrow key on one computer, 1 probably won’t move.
Reconnect the internet and press the arrow key, it should move again. Easy, plain and simple, just to show us you know networking.

I have done the same kind of thing to learn and understand networking!

btw: don’t use a screen capturer. Use a camera and tape both of the computers.

Good Luck,
Linkxgl