basic game programming tutorials

I’m not sure if that can be posted anywhere but in the offtop forum, but there are definitely guys who would like to learn about game development among the blender users, so I think blenderartists is a good place to post this.

I’ve decided to learn the very basics of game programming, so I’ve been playing with C and SDL for the past few weeks.

So far I’ve managed to create an interactive window that processes keypress input and renders stuff to screen at fixed frame rate.

The first video is a rectangle that uses linear motion formulae to accelerate to max velocity when WASD keys are pressed and decelerate until stop when motion keys are released.
And the second one is an animation made of 4 sprites grouped on a single png image (the background is composed of one tile rendered four times in different places).

I wasn’t satisfied with tutorials that are out there (well, they sure helped a lot and I owe thanks to people who made them, but I still don’t find those tutorials beginner-friendly) so I think about making some of my own, and making them as beginner-friendly and easy-to-follow as possible.

Of course, it wouldn’t interest someone who daydreams about making his own call of duty with knights and dragons blazing fire, but I guess I could save some pain for those who want to make their 2D character walk and jump, but don’t even know what questions to ask to do a google search, or for guys who have completed basic programming courses and have no idea how to use acquired knowledge to write “real world” programs.

I am not a game developer or a programmer, so I’m not the best person to teach someone. But then again, those who can be qualified as ‘best person’ are too busy to think about beginner-friendly tutorials.

I’ve already made some notes while learning all that, and here are the topics I plan to cover:

• A brief reference to C: variables, pointers, functions, conditionals, for/while loops, structs
  • SDL: creating a window, processing user input, rendering stuff to screen, making a game loop, and combining all that to make something that looks like something
  • Some Python for quick prototyping before switching to more time-consuming C programming

The code I write may not be an example of best programming practices, but it is alright and it works, and that’s enough to start.

So I’ve decided to post this to see if anyone is interested, and hear out some suggestions, if there will be any.