Basic rigging question.

I’m sure this has some very obvious answer for anyone who has been doing this for more than a month. I’ve been working on a basic quadruped model and am now at the rigging bit. The image is a simplified version of this in 2D. I started where the red circle is and did the front legs and head before going back to the back legs, but then I find that I can’t extend from that end of the bone. Well, I can extend, but then they aren’t actually connected. I’m wondering if there is a way around this, and if not how I should go about planning my rig. Starting at the body seems like the most obvious spot to me. Thanks in advance for any time you spend on this.

Well, I can extend, but then they aren’t actually connected. I’m wondering if there is a way around this, and if not how I should go about planning my rig. Starting at the body seems like the most obvious spot to me.

If you extrude out from the tail of the bone that is circled, then yes, the bones are connected, just not in the same way as the front arm bones are. When you created the front arm bones, because you extruded from the tip of a bone, they became connected children of the bone you extruded them from. You can only have ‘connected’ bones when the tip of one bone shares the tail of another bone. I say ‘connected’ with quotes because that is a setting found in the bone’s properties panel and indeed the bones are connected, or joined. But a ‘connected’ bone is not the only way for a bone to be connected to another bone.

If you select the tail of the bone circled in your picture and extrude out from there new bones, they will become children of the bone you extruded from. Being children of the parent bone they came from, they are now connected thru a parent/child relationship. When actually posing the armature, they will (by default) rotate and move as their parent bone would. They will act just like the ‘connected’ front arm bones will, you won’t notice the difference while posing the armature.

Since you are just learning this stuff, make sure as you work with building the armature, you pose it from time to time to see how it works. You can have bones far away from their parent bones, as long as they are children of the parent bone, they will still move as their parent does.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Thank you Randy, that solved my problem very quickly.