Basic RTS Game in the Roman Empire

@Geemusic
Well if you want to find coders go for Unity, I’m sure that there is were you will find most amateur coders willing to work for free. Try to find someone with experience (>1 Year, using Unity with C#), I can learn, but since I don’t have experience in Unity it wouldn’t be a good idea for me to design and lead the project (the technical aspects I mean). You should register to some Unity forum and ask there.

I am about BGE. Here I know scripting well and I also know how every concept looks. Also, soon we may get PBR shader for BGE.
Oh, and I am totally sure that UPBGE would work out the best:)

Hey you guys.
Honestly I am less worried about finding coders. I just generally dislike the looks of the blender internal render ^^ But hey - I can bake all my stuff, so it does not matter that much.
And since no one else is interested I’d say we just start and use UPBGE. In the worst case I could still keep my models, so not all work would be lost for me if something goes wrong.
Any preferences on how to communicate? Would you like to use Skype or slack, or do we want to keep it public?

“Also, soon we may get PBR shader for BGE” ?

just generally dislike the looks of the blender internal render

Why do you think, that bge uses BI? As long as i know, it only shares data with the BI materials. For the RTS game you will need GPU Skinning.

I’d prefer Skype group. What do you say?

Indeed. I don’t want to comment any more before it’s ready and there. But it WILL be there. At full quality (GGX, shlick etc.)

I just added both of you on Skype. It was easy to find you guys ^^

That’s good! Remember that I won’t be able to help much, but I will do what I can. Also, is this gone be online or single-player game? Cause I have never done online games.

Dont worry. It needs to be simple, and should remain classic. Onlinemode is not required.

I don’t use it any more, well maybe I’ll download it again.

Btw.: Blenderartists keeps logging me out- is there a Way to prevent that? :slight_smile:

I’ve been here for years and still does it, you have no salvation. Remember to copy long texts before submitting them, in come cases when you login again the text disappears and the message is not send.

Dont worry. It needs to be simple, and should remain classic. Onlinemode is not required.

Well even if you say it has to be simple it can become quite complex very easily. For example, the map: In old games a terrain without LOD was common (AOE and AOM are like this), but when you want a rather big terrain you need to use LOD (Skyrim) with it. Then BGE doesn’t support LOD in general very well (it only replaces the mesh, avoiding all other optimizations) and doesn’t support LOD terrain at all. You still can make your own implementation but it will work slow (done in BGECore). Then you may need to touch Blender source code and that will become very complex. Actually I’m not sure if Unity has terrain LOD (a.k.a I don’t remember) but Unreal does. Of course we can skip this directly by not doing huge sized maps, it was just an example. But for example BPR has been struggling at least for a month trying to do texture painting in realtime, we will have to do that too if we want to have an in-game editor (like AOM)… or well I suppose we could just make people use Blender if they want to make custom maps.

@adriansnetlis
Are you going to use BGECore Framework?

If we do it in BGE in the classical way (Messy Logic Bricks + Disorganized Python Scripts + All bundled in a single blend) it won’t pass the prototype phase, therefore it would be a good idea to do it in BGECore. However BGECore is still a WIP (usable tough) and may have some unexpected bugs (notice that BGECore and UPBGE are two absolutely different things, BGECore can be used with UPBGE). So I would suggest you guys to try it first (that it launches and doesn’t give errors), and to @adriansnetlis to try if he can understand how it works.

P.S The link is on my signature.
P.S.2 So, when we start? Ahh, we should setup a Git repository or similar.

What’s that? Is it add-on?

Aha… Must take a look at it. However, I am kind of nicely organizing Python scripts if you care that;)

For the most important part, it’s like a library that helps doing some kind of things in BGE, distributing the game, organizing it, hiding the source code (optional), or things more specific like displaying text with shadows, making the text appear with a typewritter effect, or make it centred aligned, or play random music from a folder… a bunch of things like that. Also things like “execute X function in 10 seconds” without need of logic bricks.

Well concerning the organization: Of course there are some things that need to be done beforehand. I’ll have to create the basic buildings or at least placeholders, and I am sure you have some things aswell before you can start programming.
Since Adrians is the one with not-so-much time, I’d suggest, that we (elmeunick9(btw how should I call you? ^^) and I) start to create the basics, and Adrians takes a look at it from time to time until he has something to complain about :slight_smile:
Still it is necessary that we find a good way to communicate first. So it would be nice, if you could install skype or suggest something else. I do have a teamspeakserver aswell…
The we can go deeper into planning

regards

Okay, how about we meet up on Skype today?
I’d say around 6pm? I live in the Central European Timezone. I believe It is the same for Barcelona, but in Latvia it would be 7 pm…

An interesting article about RTS game engine -> http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2015/06/23/supreme-commander-graphics-study/
Now you could compare it with BGE and see what you would need.

Interesting indeed, thanks Akira-san. Though I doubt we’ll be able to implement most of it, (since they are more engine-specific features) we will start with non-generted terrains done inside Blender in the classy way, and then maybe we will try to dynamically create (and edit in realtime) terrains somewhat done like on that engine.