Basic Tavern Scene

Just wanted to get a little feedback on something I’m working on for a school project, I’m fairly new to Blender and would like to create a more realistic scene.

This is what I have so far, I guess what I’m looking for would be tips on lighting, arrangement of objects and ideas for more objects to include in this scene. Another thing I’ve noticed is that the corner between the two walls looks pretty off, any suggestions there?

This is my first post, thanks guys. :slight_smile:

Edit: Also of note, I’m using Cycles

Attachments

the light should be more yellow, and turn the exposure up. add a table with stuff on it maybe.

Thanks for the reply Modron.

I forgot to mention I was going to be working on a wooden table, bench, and some tankards, maybe a fireplace. I’ll follow your suggestions for the lighting.

What about the corner? I was considering hiding it behind a wooden post as a quick fix, but I imagine there’s a more professional way to resolve that.

I’m guessing you have a tile-able stone texture - you will have to UV unwrap the walls (pretty simple in this case) to get the tiling in the corner. You could also create normal maps out of your stone texture, to give the walls more depth. A program which can help you with that is called Crazy Bump and is free to use for 30 days. Andrew Price’s tutorial called ‘The Secrets of Realistic Texturing’ (look it up on youtube) will get you up to speed with that.

As with the arrangement of the objects, if you go under your camera properties, there are composition guides, which will divide your screen view in thirds to help you with a more pleasing composition.

Maybe you could also add an arched window and in it a plane in the shape of the window with an emissive material to help with the interior lighting. You then tick off ‘seen by camera’ in the object properties of the plane, to make it invisible and only cast lighting.