BATS - Material Editing With Layers - RELEASED

add-ons
materials
commercial
texturing

(Rob) #81

Maybe you can use BATS in combination with TexTools: TexTools
It’s not yet ported to 2.8, but the bake tools are very interesting to combine with addons like this.
Even better when 2.8 gets an update on procedurals.

rob

(Rob) #82

Now we need something like this :smiley:

(Rawz) #83

Can you paint any number of diffuse layers with BATS? -

For example, can you build up a texture as you would build an illustration in a painting app? - with base colours, shadows, highlights and possibly texture brushes on different transparent layers?

You may have answered a similar question from @PolyGreen

(Joshua Knauber) #84

That’s all possible with the exception of transparent layers. Right now you would have to work with masks and blending modes only, which would probably be really annoying.
I will see if I can get a “Hand painting mode” in there for the next update.
That would do the following:

• When you add a texture to the diffuse channel it automatically sets the mask for that channel to the alpha of that texture

The only annoying thing is that for erasing you would have to change the brush mode to “Erase alpha”, because there’s no eraser tool in texture painting.

(Joshua Knauber) #85

So that was pretty easy to do, will be in the next update!
V1.0.2 should be out later today or tomorrow.

(Athanyse) #86

Hi and thank you for this great add-on! I hope there will be some tutorial soon because for the time being I cant really figure out how texture painting works with it.
I also tried to use BATS for adding some assets like screws or stitches on top of other materials like in substance painter but I didnt succeed.
Do you think that can be achieve with your add on?

(Joshua Knauber) #87

For a tutorial @KevlarOxy is working on something!
And texture painting is what I’ll be working on next, to make it easier to select textures to put on the material. So things like normal map textures of screws can be added, by selecting the texture for the brush and then painting it on the normal channel, but it should be easier to choose what texture or alpha you want to work with.

And just in case here are the basics what you need to do:

• Change a channels mode to texture
  • Click on the pencil icon next to the texture selection, to add/edit the texture
  • this will switch you into texture painting mode where you can use all the normal tools as well as those in the panel
  • when you’re done click on finish editing

(Joshua Knauber) #88

Update for V1.0.2 is live on blendermarket and gumroad.
Changelog:

• Added setting for disabling and changing the shortcut for HDRI rotation in the addon settings

• Added “Use Alpha” option for mask textures. This uses the alpha channel of the texture for the mask, instead of the color

• Added “Transparent Layers” option in the texture settings. When enabled, a texture mask with “Use alpha” gets added when you add a texture to the color channel of the layer. This is useful for handpainted textures, as it allows for a similar stacking of layers with transparency as in a 2D program

• Added default visibility setting for the channels in the layer settings

• Reorganized settings panel with subpanels

• Fixed layer name in edit panel not updating when renaming the layer

(hoverBOX Creative) #89

Will there be a possibility of using complex node setups for use with masking that can then be baked out? After using it, it appears that I can only use the basic principled BSDF and can plug in textures.
I’d like to be able to have a library of materials I can easily select.

(Joshua Knauber) #90

Not sure I understand what you mean?
Do you want to bake out a material you’ve created with the add-on?
And for the library of materials, you can have materials in node groups that have outputs for the individual channels and put them in the asset file to use them as a shader. It’s explained in the documentation.

(chickpea) #91

Thanks for a great add-on…Just some ideas…i find for height textures Smart OR Cubic Texture interpolation gives smoother less pixalted results. Also how about adding emisson painting & Transparency Painting to paint out areas of the model. thanks again…

(Joshua Knauber) #92

Emission and transparency channels are on the list for future updates, I will take a look at the Interpolation.

(wuren) #93

Hi JoshuaKnauber
I need some help,this is not working for me.
When i change a channels mode to texture (or mask useing images) , click the pencil icon , nothing happen to me .
Maybe i miss some steps make it work ?
I using daily build blender 2.8

(Joshua Knauber) #94

Is it not switching you into texture painting mode?
Is there an error message? Maybe in the console?
Did you save your file, otherwise you can’t add textures.

(wuren) #95

I think it is my fault ,i just test it in a unsave files ! Big thanks!

(Mugen_Raion) #96

Is there any way to include a ColorID masking option?

(Joshua Knauber) #97

Theoretically yes. It’ll be quite a bit of work though.

(Nomo) #98

Hi Joshua,

I was hoping to use this in conjunction with Simple Asset Manager, which stores all my materials in a folder in a .blend file. This folder also contains multiple procedural materials. I was wondering if I can actually have a workflow with this addon. So far as I understand, I need to link BATS to a folder with PBR textures and I’m having some difficulties using my procedural materials. Ideally, it would be nice if I can just pull in two materials (chrome and wood for example) and use BATS to layer these materials with masks.

(Joshua Knauber) #99

There are two things that you can do:

Textures:
You can have a texture folder selected in the settings panel. Here you can select a folder which has sets of PBR textures in it. This will allow you to press the assets button in the edit tab to import a PBR texture set from a preview window like the asset manager. You can also just open single textures or use the load textures button.

Shaders:
You can select a shader in the drop-down in the edit panel. These shaders are located in the asset file, which you select in the user preferences. A shader is a node group. This node group can then have a procedural material in it. So to use your materials as shaders, you would have to append the material to the asset file, group it, set the outputs correctly (need to be separated in the PBR channels) and name the node group with two “_” as the first characters for BATS to recognize it as a shader. Then you can select the node group from the drop-down, to use it in a layer.

So in conclusion, it’s not really possible to use the asset manager add-on with BATS, but I don’t think it’s really necessary, because you have access to everything that you need anyways, if you set it up correctly.
Let me know if you have an idea how to integrate it though, maybe there’s something that I’m missing!

(Rawz) #100

Hey thanks for your reply and making it so!

This add-on is 2.8 only right?

Hey thanks for your reply and making it so!

This add-on is 2.8 only right?