BATS - Material Editing With Layers - RELEASED

texturing
add-ons
materials
commercial

(Nomo) #101

I would like to use procedural materials. Currently BATS will destroy the material by “reset” and under shader, it indicates that output is not available - which I understand why, since you have set the shader workflow to refer to the asset file.

I wonder if it’s possible for BATS to not destroy the material with reset and allow the user to simply place procedural material in a layer and build on top of that with another procedural material on a different layer, etc. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the workflow - this is intuitive to me based on my experience with photoshop.

(Joshua Knauber) #102

It uses Eevee, so it’s 2.8 only yes.

(Joshua Knauber) #103

Not sure what you mean. As I said, if you want to use a procedural material on a layer you have to place it in a node group in the asset file. The outputs of that node group have to be Color, Metalness, Roughness, Height and Normal. Then you can use the material as a shader on your layers.
The reset button is there because BATS needs the node tree to be set up exactly the way it generates it. meaning you can’t just edit the node tree because then it’s not possible to find the layers again.

(Nomo) #104

I guess I’m just having a difficult time understanding. I’ll just wait for the tutorial.

(sirmaxim) #105

Check the documentation over on the blender market. It looks to me like if you took everything before the BSDF and grouped it, named it __ShaderName and put it in the correct blend file, you could simply assign it to slots in the addon.

This fact makes me want this addon. However…

My current workflow is to bake high to low poly normal map, generate a curvature from that and use that to create edge/cavity masks on the low poly. I’m not sure how I would use this in my workflow.

Is there a way to add the baked normal map as a layer that blends with the material normals?

(Joshua Knauber) #106

Sure, you can just add a layer and use your baked normal map as a texture in the normal channel.
You would have to make sure that the blending mode of the other normal maps you add is set to something that doesn’t completely replace this map, but that should be possible.

And the edge masks can be used as textures in the procedural masks.

(sirmaxim) #107

I wish a standard blend modes would work for normal mixing, but that has not been my experience. I have found however, that this works well: Baking Normals within other maps?

Perhaps there’s room for something like that? :wink:

It’s also possible to use this to great effect: https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/88681 to get those results. I use both of those regularly to bake normal maps to a linear space texture with an emission bsdf. Saves the hassle of baking normals multiple times which takes a while.

Example use with a random wood texture and proc to bump:

(Joshua Knauber) #108

I’ll put it on the list, but don’t expect this to be added anytime soon

(Nomo) #109

Sorry for not having read the documentation. I was not aware. After reading through it, I understand that the asset file itself needs to be edited and that the group nodes need to be under materials for BATS to recognize them using “_” labeling. This is fine. However, I am trying to use shaders that I bought from 2016 called Cycles Material Vault, and the group nodes consist of mix shaders that do not neatly separate into Color, Metalness, Roughness, Height. Any advice?

(Joshua Knauber) #110

There’s not really a way to do it then I guess. You could try to rebuild the he shaders in a way that they look the same, but use a principled shader, but there’s no easy way.