Battle of the OS'

I guess linux has this won :stuck_out_tongue:

Woah, give lightning a break! How much time would you really want to put into bullet-proofing a gag program?

I am using windows XP with 1GB or RAM, and a pretty good NVidia video card, but our computer has a lot of stuff on it, too many icons to fit on one desktop in fact. (BTW, does anyone know how to click on the icons that are just outside of the view of the desktop? I can see them but they are too far to click on)

I had 150 for sure. Then I tried opening 50 more windows (firefox if it matters) and it got bogged down. It completely froze after 170 firefox windows.

I say my score is

150 usable windows
170 maximum before feezing completely

123 copies of Firefox on Gentoo Linux running XFCE 4.2. It was working fine right up to the end. And, of course, Linux managed to recover from it cleanly without rebooting.

I’ll reboot into Windows and see how many it can open, and what the results are. And since it’s on the exact same system, it should give a pretty good comparison.

I’m running into trouble testing on Windows. Turns out that it only starts one copy of Firefox, and just opens multiple windows under the same process, so the test wouldn’t be comparable.

Anyone know a way to force Windows to actually start a totally new instance of Firefox each time?