- BATTLE OF THE OSes - Pick Your Side!!

Here it is: The mother of all flame wars. The battle to end all. The ultimate battle of the operating systems. So pick your side: Windows, Linux, Mac, or BEos or other.
Make the post title your OS choice, then make a small pros and cons list (3-5 pros and cons each) then leave a little smack talk to the OS you dislike most.
Linux USers, remeber your distro…but all Linux is still linux, however. I will post mine with time.

GOOD LUCK!:smiley:

Windows Vista :
-Better looking GUI
-DX10
-Better security

-Hardware demanding

Windows Vista :
-Better looking GUI
-DX10
-Better security

-Hardware demanding

Better security? Better than what? XP? Hah! being worse would be next to impossible. I used vista for a month, and I was very unimpressed. Disk performance stunk. I have a RAID array and regularly get 200MB/sec transfer speed on it. On vista? 80MB/sec. Plus I hate how M$'s OSes think they know better then you. “Are you sure?”, yes, “Cancel or Allow?”, yes. That’s not security, that’s just a cop-out. Infact it makes security worse, since users will just click yes-yes-yes-yes-yes, all the time. I even do it, I know I shouldn’t but hey it gets annoying otherwise.

So, I switched back to Linux.
Pros:
Blazing fast (use XFS for a filesystem and you will be surprised)
Remote X11 ssh - work from anywhere
Integrated package manager - YaST, Apt-Get, Yum
Free
Open-Source
Totally configurable and it dumps tons of log info - Not sure why your computer starts up slowly? read the logs! Try that on windows.

Cons:
Can interesting with non-standard hardware (or ATI graphics)
Little or No games (waiting for UT3)

I’ve thought about getting a Mac, but I see nothing that they offer over Ubuntu these days besides quality hardware, which I can get cheaper from IBM.

No, security in Vista is great!

…if you’re from Hollywood :ba:

Windows xp.
Pros: Games,games,zbrush,GF8800gtx and gamez.
Cons: Ugly as crap.

Thats an understatement.

All that just to run open office.

All that just to run open office.

and blender, and render quickly.

gaming is boring, so is not a problem

So when did you discover that you’re not human anymore? Before or after you discovered Linux?

So far I’ve been loving XP, but since I have a Core 2 Duo and not a 64 bit OS, I’ve been thinking of going to a Linux. Gaming won’t be much of a problem because the companies that don’t put 3rd party anti copy crap in their games, generally release for Linux too and I won’t support companies that do use such arcane and useless measures. Not to mention the render times in blender should be so much faster too.

Debian is my favourite Distro EVAR. I don’t know why, really. So I’ll just point out Linux overall’s awesomenesses.

Pros:
-Fast as fuck. I just love its speed; I am a speed freak.
-Great community, dependance on only yourself.
-Open Source. I can edit whatever I want and do whatever I want and nobody will bitch at me for it. Plus its free, so I don’t have to pay to do what I want for the most part.

Cons:
-DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. Never feel the need to make drivers for Linux, so some hardware won’t really work. Lazy bastards.
-DEVS DEVS DEVS. The same as above, but for high end applications, such as Photoshop and other applications. Although, there’s always an open source equivalent, it usually feels so different…
-I have this HUEG urge to jump into flamewars such as this whenever a dickhead feels like insulting Linux because he’s too dumb to type “rapemyface” in command line to run his shitty application.

So when did you discover that you’re not human anymore? Before or after you discovered Linux?
WAIT A MINUTE! THAT MEANS THAT NON-GAMERS ARE NOT HUMANS BECAUSE THEY DON’T SPEND THEIR WHOLE DAY PLAYING VIDYA GAIMZ? WELL THAT TOTALLY CHANGES MY PERSPECTIVE OF LIFE!

Woah. And I thought I could be a prick. Do you realize that you’re the one who’s putting fuel onto the “discussion” with this post? And most things you write aren’t even true.

Pros:

• Fast? I can still freshly remember how everyone in the Linux-world used to complain about how much slower their desktop was compared to Windows. How’s that possible? Right… because one of the key components of an average Linux desktop is X.org, which used to be even slower back in the XFree86-days.

Is it still so hard to play mp3-music without having it stutter when you compile a new kernel?

Is your mouse still unresponsive when doing cpu-heavy stuff?

Can you still see the widgets on your desktop refresh? Even when you use the binary nVidia driver?

Does it still take at least 3 minutes to boot your system, and another 3 minutes until you’ve reached your desktop environment?

Well, that might all be finally fixed these days, but heck… when the author of your precious kernel doesn’t even care about speed on certain parts of your system (namely: the desktop), and pesters away his best desktop-focused developers (does the name “Con Kolivas” ring a bell?), then how do you dare to call yourself a speed freak?

Sure, there are many nice things about Linux, especially in the do-not-trash-my-hard-disk space when loading many programs at once. And yeah, a console is fast because there’s not much to draw, and even that can be fucked up by some people.

• You’re one of those RTFM-screamers, right?

• Time is not free.

Cons:

• OSS developers are lazy? What kind of rude attitude is that?
  • The Photoshop thing: try to do remove shadow using a low pass filter in the GIMP…
  • Well, no more consoles with depressingly black backgrounds for you sir.

I feel bad karma around here.

oogsnoepje, maybe you should try linux again. It boots up in almost no time, especially compared to windows. The desktop is responcive almost right away. I have to wait a bit before i can do anything on windows. I have never had problems with the mouse being unresponsive, widgets refreshing and all that. For me linux is like 10 times more responsive (at least) on the desktop than windows.

All those complaints for the desktop is like the exact opposite of what i have found. How long ago did you hear those complaints? I don’t care really because who cares about what linux used to be like.

This is just what i have noticed. I have windows xp (for games and certain programs) and linux (for speed, nicer desktop, great selection of free programs, etc.), to make up for each others problems, so i don’t really care what other people think. I also like macs but, i don’t have one (i really want one though).

• Fast? I can still freshly remember how everyone in the Linux-world used to complain about how much slower their desktop was compared to Windows. How’s that possible? Right… because one of the key components of an average Linux desktop is X.org, which used to be even slower back in the XFree86-days.
    Not any more it’s way faster then Windows (personal experiance)

Is it still so hard to play mp3-music without having it stutter when you compile a new kernel?
Nope, the only time I ever have issues with that is when I do a “make -j4” on my dual core. But that’s to be expected. Infact I’ve had more issues with the responsiveness thing on Windows.

Is your mouse still unresponsive when doing cpu-heavy stuff?
Not at all

Can you still see the widgets on your desktop refresh? Even when you use the binary nVidia driver? [quote] occasionally, but even windows does that.

[quote]Does it still take at least 3 minutes to boot your system, and another 3 minutes until you’ve reached your desktop environment?
Nope. And I don’t reboot my system It’s been up for 24 days straight.

whenever i haft to use windows, it fells like a absolute slug. when you try to play a file, and you are lacking codecs it prompts you to install them.
i have had far more problems with windows locking up during cpu intensive stuff than linux. while rendering it is imposable to do anything else, no sutch problems on ubuntu. linux will run for years without crashing, around 60% of web servers use it, as well as most super computers

Wut? Because I pointed out my personal preferences and inconvenients with Linux, I am fueling this already-burning flamewar? Jeez, Dr. I thought that was the point of this whole thread!

Oh lawd. The 90’s. Its 2007, good sir, and Linux is a shitfuck faster than Windows is. Here, a test made with my own computer (Dual Boot, XP/Ubuntu).

Computer Specs
Processor: 3.2 Ghz Core Duo Intel Pentium D.
RAM: 3 GB
Video Card: 128mb (read as 512mb thanks to lots of RAM and real time cache) nVidia GeForce 7100 GS.
Each OS has 100 GB of Hardrive.
Everything else is pretty much pointless.

Windows XP Performance
Boot up (Black Screen): 1 minute, 52 seconds.
Login Screen to Desktop (Not counting the time it takes me to type passwords, etc.): 0 minutes, 44 seconds.
Desktop start to desktop usability (Stopped loading crap applications): 7 minutes, 39 seconds.
Applications loaded: 3 - Windows Live Messenger, AVG Free Edition, AIM Messenger.
Partition usage: 34 GB.

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Performance
Boot up (Black Screen): 7 seconds.
Login Screen to Desktop (Not counting the time it takes me to type passwords, etc.): 3 seconds.
Desktop start to desktop usability (Stopped loading crap applications): 35 seconds.
Applications loaded: 8 - aMSN Messenger, Katapult, gDesklets, Pidgin, kTorrent, Rymthbox, (I forgot the name of this application; its a search function) and personal scripts (tablet identification and some other lolcows).
Partition usage: 49 GB.

Yess… XP is much more faster.

All I had to do to play mp3 is allow some repositories. TOO HARD.

No. Its always working real time, even with a hueg scene render in the back and me rotating the 3D cube. But that could be because of my comp’s spects. If so, then any semi decent PC now a days would have real time mousing anyway.

The only time I have a hard time with my widgets is when I fuck up and erase them. :slight_smile:

It does in Windows.

You should notice that this is 2007, not 1607, when Linux was “slow”.

BY THE WAY, By definition, UNIX-like systems are ALWAYS faster than Windows in every possible way. UNIX is supreme.

Always lol

I don’t like being noisy about my use of an OS, or shove it down other people’s throat. I just use what I like because I want to.

Windows is still more expensive.

A realistic one? All companies have to do is either, reveal chipset information so someone else make the drivers, or make a small group port the drivers to Linux. Do they? No, they are too busy scratching their belly whilst thinking the next code rehash, and how many decimals they’ll increase once released.

Hell, there was a company that proposed to make Linux drivers for every possible hardware company out there for FREE. And almost everyone denied.

That’s exactly my point…? GIMP is not a Photoshop remplacement, but it does a pretty good job. However, Photoshop still has shitloads of features I’d like, but can’t use without going to Windows because there’s no Linux-Photoshop.

I’m happy with my Wii, thanks.

HI EARL!

Wow. I simply agree with Alekiel here. No need to say more.

:slight_smile: Same…I didn’t know Blenderheads could flame?

Well, I’m going to give a very clean opinion.
I cannot say much because:

1. my computer is very old. and it sucks, even with the upgrades i put.
  2. i’ve never used a mac
  3. i’ve always used Windows 93, 95, XP
  4. my computer is so old it can barely support a second OS: CD boot “PuppyLinux” distro
  5. “PuppyLinux” is a tiny distro, and i had huge troubles trying to get Blender working on it. not mentioning that i’ve not used console much before, nor am I very hardware savvy. another factor is that “PuppyLinux” is run via CD, on an old computer, so I didn’t experience “full speed” (though it was faster i must admit), and it doesn’t have very developed repositories, and I doubt if it’s anything like Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, etc.

Firstly, I would like to state that…I don’t care for games much.
The occasional game is fine, but otherwise I don’t see much of an attraction to it.

I do mainly programming (using Windows-based freeware), blender, work (microsoft office. the Abiword that came with PuppyLinux didn’t read my .docs very well), and graphics design. (i’m very familiar with Photoshop, and I’ve never tried out The GIMP, so I don’t like changing environments)

So without a doubt, I prefer Windows. This might be due to my non-exposure to stuff like “true” linux distros, or mac.

my decision might change when my computer does.

I just know windows. :ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba::ba:

FreeBSD

Pros:
extremely stable, reliable and robust: you can leave it running for days, and many of the servers with the longest uptimes are running FreeBSD.
From Wikipedia:

As an operating system, FreeBSD is generally regarded as reliable and robust, and of the operating systems that accurately report uptime remotely, FreeBSD is the most common free operating system listed in Netcraft’s list[3] of the 50 webservers with the longest uptime. A long uptime also indicates that no crashes have occurred and that no kernel updates have been deemed necessary, as installing a new kernel requires a reboot and resets the uptime counter of the system.

very mature: FreeBSD is the most popular descendant from BSD, developed in the '70s, which was the descendant of AT & T’s Unix, developed in the late '60s. It is not outdated, however, as it itself was first made in '93, and regular updates are being made, i.e. development is going just as fast as Ubuntu. It is also very unusual for an open source operating system in that the core developers have been working with the codebase for over 25 years. It is so mature, that many operating systems are based on it, such as Mac OS X, and many Linuxes.

nice package manager: FreeBSD’s package manager, ports, is what Gentoo’s portage is based off.

compatibility with Linux: FreeBSD can run many binaries made for Linux, or other Unixes like Solaris natively.

open source and free

Cons:
Not quite friendly to inexperienced users
same cons as Linux

i like this one!

http://blog.hex.is/helga/corona_laptop.jpg

I like the Amiga :evilgrin: