BD5J Jet

Ok, going to try my hand at another aircraft, maybe I’ll finish this one! This was a kit plane from I believe the 1970’s or 1980’s. James Bond flew one in one of his movies.

Still a lot of work to do, off to a good start I think.

A true rarity there, not many of those around, and very few that actually fly. I think you’re off to a good start! Are you just using reference images, or have you found blueprints/tech drawings of this plane? When this get finished, I think an animation of it flying thru a hangar to avoid being hit by a missile would be in order!

Randy

Randy,

I have a 3-view and some photos I’m working from, but I just eyballed the airfoil of the wing, horizontal stab and the vertical fin. The outlines are pretty close.

I like the idea of the animation! I have made the flaps, ailerons and rudder as seperate objects thinking that I may try to do some animation with it. Will try to rig the surfaces with bones, but I have never done any rigging, so that may be a challenge for me. :spin:

Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

Reminds me of that James Bond film, can’t remember which one…
The modeling looks awesome so far, and I’m interested to see how you do the place where the wings attach to the Fuselage.

sdfgsdfg,

Yes, they did use one in a Bond film.

I am also interested to see how I do the wing/body fillet! I haven’t thought of a good way to do it yet!

Thanks for the comments.

Have a look at this;

Nice find bobg!

That’s the video I was thinking of when I said to have the plane fly thru a hangar to avoid a missile! Saw the movie a few times and when I think bd-5 that’s what I think of!

Anyway, can’t wait to see more of this one!

Randy

Almost non existant update. Started over on the fuselage because the shape just wasn’t right. Got the wing to body fairing done. Need to start on the details after I get the rudder done. Man, I just don’t have enough time in the day! Family time is more important right now, so updates are few and far between.

Well, looking at it now, the nose is to fat. Guess I’ll be tweeking that too.

Fixed the nose and cut the engine access panel. I know, the lighting is horrible!

You appear to be missing air intakes (or is the angle just wrong to see them?)

skykooler,

You are correct, I haven’t cut the intakes yet. Still a lot to do on such a “simple” aircraft. Simple as in not much detail on the real one either! Haven’t looked for pictures of the landing gear yet either.

Still to do: Rudder, landing gear, cockpit, pitot tube, pilot, panel lines, materials/textures, rigging (first rig so may take a while), scene, animation (first as well), etc…

Thanks for the comments and crits guys.

Looking good, keep up the great work.

Small update. Rudder done and completed the cut outs for the engine access panels. Next will be the air intakes, which I think will be a challenge for me. :eek:

Small update. I have worked on the wing to fuselage fairing as much as I’m going to due to how frustrating it has been!

Cut in the air intakes on the side of the fuselage and added the exhaust/tail pipe.

Any suggestions or crits are greatly appreciated.

i like the side view a lot

Small update.

Did some rigging of the flight controls (thanks revolt_randy, chipmasque and others for the rigging help)and got her standing on her own legs. Still need to detail the gear, cut the wheel wells and finish the modeling of the interior.

Ok, put up some better renders. Those were distorted.

Attachments

Are those last 2 pics stretched vertically? The wheels look oval. Might make for a bumpy landing :wink:

EDIT: OK, so as not to look loopy: disregard last transmission :smiley:

I think I have a camera or render setting out of whack. The whole thing is smushed horizontally. I don’t know what I’ve done to get it out of whack.

Ok, put up some better renders. Those were distorted.