BDX beta is out, and ready to use.

Anyone besides us would probably just go on to download the release, under the impression that it contains the promoted commits.

If you want to advertise commits, that’s fine, but I would just recommend making it clear that they’re not in the latest release, when that’s the case.

What makes you decide to create a new release?

I don’t really have a strict metric - If there’s more than a few commits, and some time has passed (like a week or so), I would tag a new one.

I’ve made a new one just now.

[deleted off-topic comment]

Yo, so BDX has been trucking along. Since the last time I posted, it’s gotten a few more features, like gamepad support, input maps, and capsule physics objects. Basic lighting (ambient, point, and sun) is also working, though a release with it hasn’t been made just yet. If you want to try out the lighting, it’s easy to build BDX.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know.

A profiler has been added, which is cool. Now you can profile how your game’s doing. You can even profile individual parts of your own code and have it appear on the profiler.

The template blend file has been simplified, removing unnecessary bits, as well.

New release up on the GitHub page, by the way!

any chance you will add a default sprite object?
2.5D and 2d?

sprite sheet animation baker from blender?

What do you mean “default”? There’s already a sprite animation component; you can just put a sprite on a plane and then run the component to animate the sprite.

I mean the 2.5 D system, so changing the angle changes what sprite sheet, or even which section of sheet to use? (like duke nukem)
http://s19.postimg.org/pmj6hnrj7/Liztroop.png

(I knew you could already play a sprite animation)

so you can render to a sprite sheet, and it auto rotates the camera etc and builds the sprite sheet?

Nah, I don’t think that’d be created for general engine usage, since it’s relatively specific (not every 2D / 2.5D game would require something like this). It wouldn’t be too difficult to do oneself, though.

Well it’s been quite awhile since the last post, but progress continues. A lot’s been done, but I’ll save explaining the specifics for the next release. If you want to use BDX in its bleeding-edge state (which I recommend), get the source and build it with ant - it’s rather simple.

Awesome work!
Does BDX support export of key animation?
As I understand there is no material implementation too (mean export from blender)

Hi there. I am really exiting. Can realize some of my projects via BDX to android from concept and modeling to fully created .apk file.
Use only blender and terminal for develop. It is very handy for me to use blender as much as possible.

the answer is yes!
About materials and shadeless option: i just try to inverse gamma 2.2 (just divide values 1/2.2) and it looks like colors begin to match.
Mb it will help.

Currently “shadeless” materials are not completely shadeless. This is explained in this issue. This should be fixed when the LibGdx version of BDX is updated.

^ At least, that’s what I’m hoping once we get the new version of LibGDX. It’s just a guess at the moment if it can be fixed in the way outlined in the issue. If it doesn’t work out, then it probably won’t be too much of an issue because we’ll probably end up creating our own shaders. As a side-note, it’d be nice if martinsh was interested in helping us out, haha. Maybe I could let him know about BDX and see if he’s interested.

That would great. Knowing so little about it, I can’t wrap my head around how to implement phong shading even.

think BDX will become the main game engine for blender? the bge development has slowed way down i think it would better to have an other engine like BDX worked into blender. kinda like bullet is worked in. the BDX team will do its thing and the blender team spends its time integrating it. well just a thought.

I don’t think BDX will ever become the main engine, but it’s a good engine nonetheless. It has some advantages over the BGE, such as exporting to Android, but compared to the BGE it’s still very basic. For example, there’s only gouraud (vertex-based) shading, so no phong (pixel-based) shading yet. Constraints are not integrated (yet). The same with armature bones.

Goran, who is the author, didn’t intend those features to be integrated, but welcomes it. So it’s up to whoever wants to contribute to do so. The engine can grow fairly quickly. Anyone can clone BDX to their own Github and make changes to that repository (Java, Python, GLSL). Those changes then could be merged with master on Goran’s Github. So development is pretty straightforward and doesn’t take a lot of time. I’m glad Goran authors BDX. If it wasn’t for his insight, many of my own contributions would probably have corrupted BDX to some degree (with bad code and unnecessary features).

If you installed the BDX add-on, you probably noticed that BDX utilizes the Blender (GE) User Interface, with an additional BDX panel in the Render Properties panel. Recently also a panel in the Object Properties panel was added for managing Game Properties and the Java Class (for every object). So I don’t think there’s a lot of integration to do on this part anymore.

Yo!

It’s been awhile since the last release and when I last commented on this thread. Quite a lot’s changed with BDX since then! We’ve added quite a few new features and nice additions, including stuff like:

• Improvements to the profiler
  • Mesh replacement
  • Mouse positioning
  • Built-in 2D GLSL shaders (bloom, blur, wave, etc)
  • Down-sampling for 2D GLSL shaders
  • Support for 3D GLSL shaders
  • An improved base 3D GLSL Shader to use Blender’s emit slider and color tinting
  • Frustum culling
  • An object panel in Blender that allows you to customize game object classes, properties, and execution priority
  • Collision checking and children identification via component or property
  • Mouse wheel support
  • Support for Blender’s user camera
  • Altering collision bounds types dynamically
  • Joining objects together to reduce draw calls
  • Input-based replays
  • Simple custom joystick profile support
  • And a ton of other bug-fixes and smaller feature additions

To go along with these changes and to sync up with the upcoming LibGDX game jam, Goran’s released a new version of BDX! Check it out! Learn it! Use it for the jam! Profit with those delicious prizes (?)!

Anyway, if you feel like participating, you should be able to check out BDX and use it as well (if you feel like it, haha).

Well now, this has been fixed in the latest version of BDX thanks to modifying the default shader to build our own at this point. :slight_smile:

any demos or games for android yet?

Yeah, Goran made 99 Bottles for Android. I’m not really a mobile user, though, so I haven’t made anything for it yet, though I am interested in it.