Be faster - Create your own Blender with new modifers and faster rendering

Blender and overall 3d imaging are too complicated itself, to be a subject as a whole for that kind of course. You can study 3d graphics coding for months or years, same with Blender code. You can’t expect to have all of this explained in one course.

I am aware of this and that’s not what I am expecting. This doesn’t mean it’s impossible to create stuff to help developers to get nearer to Blender.

Of course it is possible but it would be muuuuuch longer course and I excpect it to be much more expensive.

1 Like

I agree completed with ajarosz 3d graphics would be out scope of this course and just to big of subject to add. This course is excellent already covering a lot important subjects on building your on Blender e.g. building blender, tools, branches, adding and submitting patches, diff files, 2x Cycles performance and more.

1 Like

This course is helpful, just it’s not intended to be for developers.

As a windows developer that works in 3d graphics. I found this course very beneficial. An expert developer like bliblubli go step by step and cover many areas of Blender development like building, tools, patches, diff files, modifiers, cycles performance, .etc. I have search for this information only found bits and pieces. To have all of this in one place is great and huge timesaver for me.

I definite recommend this course to developers that want to start working with Blender.

2 Likes

Your opinion, which also differ from his :slight_smile:
Stuff about building, Git, patches, it’s something that might be unknown to you but it’s common practice in open source.

Some tools I agree are standard to open source. How it applies to Blender is new and their are specific problems encounter in Blender like fracture branch. Their is also sections with modifying and working with different Blender modifiers. Another subject of real interest to me was modifying cycles to improve 2x performance.

I also can vouch by the support that I have receive from bliblubli. I had a couple issue that came up and he was very quick with response and help.

2 Likes

Of course I start with the basics.

• As an artists I think you are happy to start from the beginning.
  • Some coders know SVN, but have yet to learn Git. Part 3 can also be good for coders, because they don’t all know where to find the patches and commits that bring the most. The ocean of information makes it really hard to find one precise commit when you just came in. It’s like arriving in a new huge town. Even if you live yourself in another big town, you may be happy to find someone who lives here since some years and can give you some orientation and some good addresses between the thousands of restaurants you have.
  • applying recent patches is easy, but 2 years old one on brand new 2.8 when the python API barely has a guide to port and the C code has no documentation at all on what changed in 2.8… I guess a skilled programmers would find his way, but would also be happy to find someone who followed it and knows how to port it.

I would be happy to teach more, but programmers wanting to code path tracers already have good offer with PBRT.org and the likes. I think the number of artists willing to learn how to code a path tracer or the number of programmers willing to learn design patterns is very small.

But artists willing to:

• get the most out of their GPU
  • be free to decide which patch goes in
  • get a very streamlined workflow
  • get a clear UI with all the settings they need often easily accessible
  • use more modifiers to allow quick editing when the client change his mind
    I think can be happy with this course. I’m happy to see some are and that you also found it usefull :slight_smile:

The Terrain modifier diff has been adapted to work on latest master. A lot of code clean up was done in master, which is good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The diffs for the remove double modifiers to clean your meshes and imports are available for both 2.8 and 2.7. The video explaining the code will follow :slight_smile:

Edit: the videos are up!

I was wondering can your course teach me how to code remove doubles modifier?

yes, it already shows you how to add a remove double modifier and much more :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just opened a room for students to discuss about their work on modifiers, particles, Cycles, etc. If you want to participate, send me a PM with the email you use on gumroad and I’ll invite you. Explaining what you do really helps become better yourself and as you can’t modify everything alone, it’s helps a lot if you build teams :slight_smile: Of course, I’ll be there too and add some bonuses myself :wink:

2 Likes

The first part of the fifth chapter is available. It goes very good with the classroom discussion together to get started in a new area of your choice. The videos shows how to get started in the BMesh operator’s code as an example.

1 Like

Nice, thankyou. :slight_smile:

What the artists say

Johannes - 3D Artists

I started out as a 3D artist with decent (for an artist) Python experience.
While Python is fine it does have its limitations and some things are simply impossible to do with python because Blender does not let you access certain things with Python. Hence I allways wanted to learn how to modifiy Blenders source code.
However, I started this venture into coding several times but allways failed due to not finding the necessary information and not knowing what to look for.
This course is really something I have been looking for for years and I am amazed how short it took to get really cool results. The course is worth every cent. 10/10 would buy again.

One of his results after working on the particles code to have free per-axis scaling, which allows new effects:

In a very competitive world, an artists with coding skills can really make a difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Playing a bit with some patches, I had a look to the multi light sampling branch and ported it to 2.8.

The scene from here with light BVH:
6min51%20lightBVH

and without:
5min43%20no%20lightBVH

It takes longer to render, but has less noise (only behind the table, there is more noise). It also looks more realistic (to me at least). What do you think?
The updated diff is available on the course download page, so that you can play with it :slight_smile:

Thanks for that it interesting patch.

I have finish the course and can fully recommend it.

The course covers:

1. All the require tools, installation and Blender code organization.
  2. The basics of building Blender, updating, branching, and finding useful patches for Blender.
  3. Covering how to modify code starting with modifiers and begins with the bridge modifier.
  4. How to customize the Blender UI.
  5. Learning about the patches for E-Cycles from the changes to UI and performance improvements. This subject was one that I really wanted to understand and I was successful.
  6. Work with bevel tool.
  7. Tips on how to learn to change any type of modifier .
  8. Additional bonus content of remove doubles modifier.

Mat has continue to update the course and has created a group discussion to share information and tips. Customer service has been excellent responding quickly to my questions and issue about the course.

The course is beneficial both to the artist or some like myself that has experience in Windows development, but is not familiar with the Blender ecosystem for development.

I have being able to build my own customize version of Blender 2.80 that has all the performance of E-Cycles or little faster. I have added more manual options to improve and control performance versus quality.

Even thou the course focus on the artist. I still think it would be quite useful to add to the course a section on how to do Blender development with Visual Studio it is specially needed for code debugging.

5 Likes