Beach waves with SPH (fluid particles)

Hi everybody!

I just post here a little test I did really fast. With a simple setup and default setting of SPH (fluid particles). I find the result interesting. Probably need more work to be usable ( like find a way to surface it ).

Here is a video (rendered in Opengl) of two different resolution:

315k particles (5hours to bake including dynamicpaint):

1.2 millions particles (75hours to bake including dynamicpaint):

1.2millions rendered with cycles:

Very very cool, how did you setup dynamic paint?
This will be amazing to bake to a displacement map sequence, make it sort of seamless and map around a foam mesh.

Thanks a lot !
DynamicPaint setting is really basic: beach and wall is a canvas with a good disolve value and drip activated. For the brush I just use the particles. Not really complex setting , almost default one. All the setup need more work , it’s just fast primilary test.

really interesting! It is a pity that there is not a particles remesher… Someone is doing some script, but is still unusable for this kind of stuff! I hope we get one soon!

What are your system specs? And did you use openMP to bake simulation?

Thanks ! Yes , no particles mesher make this interesting simulation result unusable. I see this patch:

http://pfs.planetblender.org/?p=35

I don’t know if it’s the script you talking about.

My specs : AMD PhenomII X6 1065T 2.9Ghz with 6gigs of ram.

For the OpenMP , I don’t know. It’s disabled with the default install of blender ? How to use it ? Sorry, I have many years of experiences with other 3D software but really newbie with Blender.

i hope as well to see something soon… we have a great tool (sph particles) which is more or less useless. I had to do some work with fluid sim not long ago, and I was so disappointed I couldn’t use particles.

The script I posted I thought had also some remesh capability… problem is the time.

The script is too slow. Just for 64 000 particles I left it calculate all night now and I don’t thing is finished for tommorow just for one frame. I use EmPolygonizer for XSI many time and it’s not a real big problem to deal with 500 000particles in couples of seconds. I don’t know what is the secret in this algorithm but we want it in Blender too ! :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s the same kind of algorythm used for the Fluids(not the particles one) in Blender?

im really ignorant on this stuff so I couldn’t say what’s the secret of EmPolygonizer… btw do you use it out of blender or is there some way to use blender particles with it? Is it an add on for XSI?

However yes, as I told you as are things now the script for blender is unusable…

Let us know if you will do some test with openMP!

Yes , EmPolygonizer is for XSI only. :frowning:

If I have time , I try to launch a test with OpenMP soon to see the difference.

My quick test for OpenMP for now with 40 000particles:

2m37s with Blender 2.62 official version
2m52s with Blender 2.63 OpenMP build ( from miikaweb website )

This OpenMP build have problem with grid volume distribution of particles (particles don’t appear)

wow… well to be honest the few times I used openMP builds it looked like something wasn’t right, even with the speed… this sucks! Because it’s a shame having (in your case) a six core cpu, and use only one for simulation!

what does the color change from blue to green in the particles symbolize?
surfaced particles where foam could appear?

wow… well to be honest the few times I used openMP builds it looked like something wasn’t right, even with the speed… this sucks! Because it’s a shame having (in your case) a six core cpu, and use only one for simulation!

In my case all CPUs works with or without OpenMP. I see no change in the cpu monitor of windows7 (task manager)

what does the color change from blue to green in the particles symbolize?
surfaced particles where foam could appear?

Particles Velocity and probably where foam appear ( more velocity equal more turbulence equal more air enter in the water equal more foam I think … btw this the option of display in Blender it’s give to me more sense) :slight_smile:

new video of particles rendered with Cycles:

I exported my simulation (1.2 millions of blender fluid particles) in pc2 to did two test at job this week:

• in XSI Softimage , emPolygonizer is used to mesh the particles and Arnold to render
  • in 3D Studio Max , Frost is used to mesh the particules and Vray to render

Two result is closest the same exept Frost is easier and faster than emPolygonizer ( 30sec for Frost to mesh 1.2millions of particles vs 1-2min for emPolygonizer ). Visualy it’s the same thing and it’s just look really amazing when is meshed and shaded. Look really realistic. Sorry, I can show any image because I did it at job. But I can try something at home to show you the result soon.

Blender really need a “easy to use” and fast particles mesher to use SPH (fluid particles)!!!

The other fluid system is far away from fluid particles

I test currently a way to mesh it with swrink warp modifier in projection mode. Seem to work great but just on flat surface like this one. I see the new release of 2.64 RC2 with it’s new cycles nodes. I will try something to get a nice shaded video. I post it soon as possible.

nice tests, a pity we cannot see them… I definetely agree with you, a nice remesher would be a great thing. Right now we have a ferrari without the keys :smiley:

A question… how did you export the particles?

Export it for XSI or 3DsMax ?

For XSI it’s simple , I create a mesh with 1 vertex and I instance it (with the modifier , not in the particles tab of the emmiter) to create a vertex on each particles. After that , I export it to .pc2 and read it with XSI cache manager and a “empty pointcloud”. XSI create the right number of points alone.

For 3DsMax I did the same thing but after I export it in XSI , I use the “send to…” option to send it directly to 3DsMax. The particles is convert from ICE to Pflow automatically. I don’t find a way to easily create a vertex pointcloud in 3Dsmax and applying the .pc2 to it.

thanks for the info… im not a great 3ds or xsi expert, but I will make some test :slight_smile:

Hello Pyroevil,
is a old tread, but can I ask you how you get the pc2 file for particles in 3ds max?
A nice day to all!
jb_