Beginner at Baking and now I am stuck, can you help me?

Hi!

So I’ve been using blender for almost 2 months now. I have been following many tutorials to learn the software and thought I was doing pretty well until now. This issue has had me stuck and experimenting for over a week now. To be honest I’m at the point of paying someone to teach me if I cant find someone to help, kinda desperate at this point.

I watched hours long tutorials on uv mapping and texture baking and thought I had a good grasp on it, I do not. So if someone could help me dive in any figure this out, that would be amazing and so much relief since this is a project for a client.

The major things I notice going on:

• Color is way too dark and turns the brown colors to black.
  • Bottom of the bun should look toasted except once baked the whole bottom plus some of the side edges turn black.
  • At first once I baked I had black cracked lines all over the sides which enlarged as I zoomed out but those I somehow got to disappear after some fiddling.
  • The colors are different than what I had and theres no gloss coming off.
  • Overall the one in my viewport is perfect for my client and the one baked will not be shown to anyone lol.

Im super new at this and haven’t used chat rooms before for development stuff. Blender as a new user will only let me post one image so I tried to pack some together to help. So let me know if I need to provide any further info or screenshots to help figure this out! Thanks!

To get better access…go to the New User Tutorial…it will allow you to post more than 2 pix + other settings…You should have a Welcome message from the Bot with a link to it! Go do it NOW, it will help speed things up…

Several things might be the cause of this, but you showed us everything but the settings we need to see …

1. did you apply scale to your object…believe it or not, it can cause problems like this at unsuspecting times…

2. Did you check your normal orientation? Make sure to check if the mesh turns Blue if you check, in the overlays, show orientation…

3. The UV map is a bit of a mess and the result can be seen in the upper left pic of the bottom of the bun…there is a lot of stretching going on…but for now let’s overlook that…

4. What settings did you use when you Baked your Diffuse Map? It looks as if you left the Lighting checked which will bake shadows and highlights into the diffuse map…

5. Since I can not read any of your nodes…did you set the image files for everything but the Diffuse to Non-Color Data, in the Image Texture Nodes?

6…Will you be willing to share the Blend File, as it is always better to see the file than to guess what the problem could be…we don’t need any of the image files …just the Bun and whatever lighting ( HDRI) you may have used…

2 Likes

So I actually got it all figured out and it was much simpler than I could have imagined. Since the biggest issue was the darkness and the blackness effect was too much on the objects, so I started fiddling around more.

Turns out, which I am new so maybe I should have known this, but my alpha setting was turned down on most of the colors. So bringing the alpha back up and then changing my colors to be about 20% lighter, worked great for the .glb export. So this issue is actually now solved for me!