Beginner running v2.79

Hello to everyone here. I can only run Blender v2.79 on my ancient laptop and won’t have a new one for a while. I am a beginner who would like to learn Blender and have these questions given that v2.79 is the latest that will run on my computer.

1. Are the GUI differences between v2.79 and the current version so much that a beginner learning on v2.79 would have trouble switching later on to the v3 interface layout?

2. Is it practical to learn newer beginner level v3 Blender tutorial videos with the v2.79 user interface?

1 Like

To be concise:

1. Yes
  2. No

Ok, here’s a better answer :slight_smile: Welcome to BA, by the way! :smiley:

Blender 2.79 is radically different from 2.8. The interface is different, the keyboard shortcuts are different, and so on. The underlying principles are the same though. So I guess the question is- is it worth learning the principles in 2.79, and then updating your knowledge of the interface and keyboard shortcuts later? Personally, I would say it depends on how long it will be before you can get a better laptop. If you mean just a couple weeks, I would wait for sure. If you mean a few months or a year, I would learn 2.79 now, with the understanding that you’re really just learning how 3D software works, and you’re going to have to re-train your muscle memory later.

To your second question - it’s neither possible nor practical, sadly. I would recommend finding 2.79 tutorials and using those exclusively until you can upgrade. Yes, you’re going to have to unlearn a lot of things from those tutorials when you upgrade, but that’s really not too hard to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thankyou josephhanson. That is solid and useful advice. As it will be awhile before I buy a new comp and have pretty limited imaging experience, I may wade in with the older instructional videos and face the v3 shock later with at least some rudimentary Blender knowledge.

1 Like

it depends of what you are doing. 2.79 is totaly fine.

Thank you riceart!