Beginner - Trying to figure out how to correctly merge 2 meshes correctly

Hi, I’m new to blender and I’ve been trying to figure out how to correctly unite or merge two or more 2D meshes together. I want to learn the correct way to make a 2D mesh with this shape.
Example - 1

I know it seems trivial, but I’ve been trying to figure out the correct way to achieve this. Do I have to create 2 separate meshes every time and use Boolean?

I would also like to know if it’s correct or even advisable to approach 3D modeling this way.
My thinking was to make a set of 2D layers with different shapes and then connect the vertex’s…

Best example I could come up with in photoshop ^
Is this ok or should I approach this another way?
Thanks.

Well it all depends on what you are modeling, but in general merging 2d shapes is not the usual way of modeling.
In 3d modeling you have to take topology into account unless you are making basic flat surfaces that do not need smoothing. Booleans can be very useful but can also create bad topology in many cases.
There are many different modeling methods for different circumstances, box modeling, polygon modeling, Boolean, nurbs and curve modeling, etc etc
Your final goal determines the best way to proceed and the topology you will need to achieve it.
There are also different approaches that work for the same goal.
Sorry the answer is not very specific but your question is also very general.
What is the final object you wish to model?
If you are new to 3d in general I suggest you look at this video that gives an overview of the different modeling methods:

1 Like

Thanks, this video is exactly what I needed.

I guess I was naturally trying to model like in nº5 in the video, drawing topology in orthographic projection, I just didn’t know what to call it. I’ve been watching and searching for all kinds of tutorials on how learn 3d modeling with blender, but there were so many ways on how to get things done, so many “styles”, that it was getting a little bit overwhelming. This is going to help a lot !

Yes there are many different methods depending on your needs, I recommend you start with simple objects and try different workflows, then you will be able to decide which method is best for each case and for yourself. At the beginning it can be daunting but you will gradually find your way, and it will be fun!
Good luck and welcome to the community.