Bent pyramid stilt house arch vis

This project actually started way back in 2006 as my entry for an architectural visualisation competition the brief of which was to design a building based around geometry of the Dahshur ‘bent pyramid’. Sadly I never had time to complete the project for the entry date and abandoned it. Then, the other day I was flicking through my old models, found it and decided to polish it off. Conceptually, it was intended as a thematic inversion of the pyramid while keeping the same geometrical envelope, so instead of dry it is wet, large/small, death/life etc. The design itself is derived mainly from the structure, with the main lines of the pyramid forming A-frames from which the main building is suspended. I also wanted a design which was sustainable; the downward-facing windows minimise heat gain while the large body of water on which it sits provides passive cooling.

Anyhoo; here is the render so far:

The following images show the building in orthographic projection; in the final image these (or some of these, anyway) will be inserts to the main picture above.

The top of the pyramids are A-frames, but the stilts are not. You need horizontal struts connecting the stilts to the corners of the two floors for stability.

Irregular shapes are wasteful and expensive. Why not make most of the window panes rectangular, with just the corners triangles?

About half of the sunlight that hits the water reflects, and the downward-facing walls will catch it. The placement of plants and solar panels could use this fact, they don’t all need to be on the roof. An interior view, which I hope you are planning, would be interesting to see rendered with an unbiased light transport renderer like Indigo, to get the caustics right.

Well, if you want to get technical, the cross-bar of the A-frame also forms the edge-beam of the roof of the main structure and is hidden behind the facade. Since the top and bottom parts of the stilts are joined rigidly (hence those big-ass castings) this provides the stability for the structure and horizontal struts would be unnecessary. The structure of the main ‘pod’ is a lightweight frame stabilised with cross-bracing hidden in the walls (which is one of the reasons why no one face of it is fully glazed).

I don’t see the irregularly shaped glass panels being too much of a problem; granted it would be slightly more expensive but the offcuts would not be huge and in any case could be immediately recycled. Depending on how large you could manufacture the panels to begin with you could tessellate the windows on one plane before cutting. I don’t think it’s worth mucking up the architectural line for.

Your comment about solar panels is an interesting idea but the payback period for solar panels is still pretty huge and you really want to maximize the amount of light they recieve. Even if the light is reflected off the water at 50% intensity you’re still cutting your efficiency in half. Plus for most of the day the water in question will be in the shadow of the structure itself, so in reality you wouldn’t even get that. Having said that, there still might be room for some renewables in the concept; maybe some kind of mini wave generators in the legs.

Anyway, thanks for the comment; I know it looks like I’m just trying to shoot down all your suggestions but its only because I do this sort of thing for a living, your effort in making them is very much appreciated.

I like it. I just think you need to add a whole lot more detail. And maybe make it bigger, like three stories.

Kevin

Where would you poop? I see no pipes :smiley:

cool water. looks cool
:smiley:

you poop out the window… jk idk… doesnt seem like you could poop any where

What about sinkage, concerning the stilts? If the stilts go into the ground, there is the possibility of sinkage over time. That’s why most stilt houses have vertical stilts, with adjustment room at the top.
Since I see no mention of the glass being “unbrakeable”, the problem of irregular shapes will persist over the building lifetime as well, not just during initial construction.
As far as poopage, I assumed some fashionable recycling method would be applicable. Those greens need fertilization, after all.

Some critiques, the door does not look very door-like, house needs siding, needs more textures, and if you went the siding route, (which I hope you do,) you’ll need some work on the corners of the house.
Looks awsome!
I am a bit engenious myself, but would never have thought of this!