Best Codec? (for import)

I’ve got a client that wants to know what codec would be best for me to use in compositing cg over his video. He wants to send it in the ProRes422 codec. I’m wandering if blender imports this well. If not what would be the best codec for this type of project. It’s very important that it is a very lossless format that I use, so I WOULD like to use ProRes422 if possible. I’m running Ubuntu Hardy and also have an XP machine, so my options are open. Please tell me if you have any ideas.

First, there is no support on Linux for that codec (that I’m aware of)

Second. there’s a small issue you would have converting it to a more standard codec: This codec has 10 bit sample depth, and there are no codecs, ffmpeg or otherwise, that are 10 bit and have an open spec.

Ideally you want to preserve this extended colour depth so you might consider using OpenEXR. If the guy is using this ProRes422 codec, he’s probably using something like Final Cut or some other Mac product, and most of those support import and export of OpenEXR image sequences.

You might want to use “half” mode, which is 16 bit rather than 32 bit, resulting in much smaller files, but should still retain the full 10 bit colour depth.

That’s your best bet for retaining the quality this guy desires, but it’s going to take up a lot of space. :smiley: