Best Computer/OS for Blender and programming?

Hi.

I know almost nothing about hardware, so I decided to ask this question here.

I’m currently using a Windows computer (windows xp professional) for web programming (only small freeware text editors - i’m a very hardcore “back-to-only-text” programmer) and use Blender as well.

Ive recently heard that graphic work is better done on a Mac, but I’ve also heard some good reviews on Ubuntu…however, I know nothing about this sort of stuff, so I would appreciate your comments!

Thanks in advance!

It’s mainly a matter of taste. Look for what software you need and for what platform(s) it is available. The basic tools are available for every platform.

If you have software and a workflow you know with a certain set of software, stay to it. But depending on what you want to develop and what language/tools you use this will change massively. E.g. programming Java with a simple text editor is … interesting and nostalgic but lgihtyears behind the productivity of a good IDE.

Only thing for sure: If you want to program Windows GUI programs, use Windows. If you want to program Mac GUI programs, use a Mac.
If you are developing for the Web you need to test on every platform. As all major browser are available for Windows…

Yeah, pretty much anything.

Hardcore graphics editing I would say fits best on a Mac, based on reviews and suggestions by those I know who work as graphic designers and similar.

I personally much prefer linux over windows, for the way it works as well as the better speed & responsiveness. I also have to produce programs to work on linux, so everything is easier for me on it.

blender is much better on Linux, renders faster, genaraly proforms better.
there is little point in getting a mac, osx is based on free bsd. and you can get the same hardwere for about half the price.

Well just to clear up some confusion, i’m not developing any applications for any OS, by web-programming i mean stuff like HTML, PHP, MySQL, Javascript, Ajax, whatever…website programming. So i guess for that its only the editors that really matter.

Does anybody here know why people say Mac is better for graphics?

If not, I guess I’ll try and use Linux & Ubuntu.

Any other recommendations?

Many people go mad when you call HTML, Javascript/AJAX, MySQL, etc. programming languages :ba:

Does anybody here know why people say Mac is better for graphics?

It’s just a preference these days. Macs used to be better but that’s not the case anymore. They are just nicer.

If not, I guess I’ll try and use Linux & Ubuntu.

Any other recommendations?

Ubuntu == Linux, no recommendation needed there, just get the latest stable version and go for it :slight_smile:
(if you meant something else, please be more specific)

However, it looks like you don’t know why you are trying to switch. What do you expect from it? More speed? More stability? More free programs? More candy? I guess that’s what you have to wonder about first, because switching operating systems isn’t done in one day, especially if you’re not used to the new system yet.

It’s not graphics as in 3D graphics but desktop publishing. I think it mainly relates to prepress in print shops and graphic design (e.g illustrator, Indesign etc). Macs have always had better print tools, font handling, color accuracy etc. For 3D graphics, they are pretty lame - no Geforce 8x series support, generally weak GPUs etc.

You can’t get the same hardware but you can get hardware that performs similarly, cheaper. Apple use more expensive mobile components in their consumer desktops to make quiet, cool machines. This is actually why their GPUs are weaker too because they choose cooler ones and sometimes under-clock them.

If you want performance from a Mac, you really have to go for a Mac Pro but that’s an expensive Xeon workstation, not really meant for consumers. So hardware-wise Apple like to think that you’re one of two kinds of people, grandma checking email in which case you get a Mini or iMac or you are a pro earning lots of cash and you get a Mac Pro.

Their desktop product line-up is very narrow-minded. The laptops are fine but the desktops are not that great at all.

Now software on the other hand, that’s a different story. For development work and lots of text-based stuff, unix based systems are far better than Windows. Memory management and general system stability is way better and the tools are better.

Linux and Mac satisfy this.

Macs have a better desktop experience - I would say the best out of all the systems. Linux is better for development than Windows and has better hardware than Mac. Windows has a better desktop experience than Linux, worse than the Mac but is worse than both for development but again better hardware than Mac. It’s all about what works best for you personally.

Regarding text only editing, Quanta Plus on linux is great. It’s basically notepad with a lot of extras (syntax highlighting, buttons i never use, etc) and you can preview your page simply by pressing F6.

For regular programming I honestly would use Windows. Visual Studio is quite possibly the best piece of Microsoft software - If there was a Linux version (Eclipse, QT designer etc are good but really not on the same level as VS) I could give up Windows completely. Other than that I would say they make better game consoles than operating systems.

Buy a mac if you’re into things like graphic design, music production, etc. Honestly I think the reason they’re better for this is because there aren’t any video games for mac that will distract you for a good amount of time. Although Marathon was great

Excuse my english… yes, it is my first language but it is 4:30 am :smiley:

Thanks for all your replies :slight_smile:

I think I’ve put together what I’m actually expecting I guess:

• I value clean, simple, aesthetics
  • Unnecessary special effects (like program switching in Vista Aero interface) is not what I value
  • I don’t really like wizards much, prefer more control, if i know what I’m doing, of course.
  • An OS good for 3D stuff, processing management
  • an OS that will help with my file management. I am forever running out of space, and I really want to organize my different projects, school work, tempoary rubbish I pick up, test renders…that kind of stuff.

I’m really thinking Linux now.

Just out of curiosity: what’s keeping you from doing that with your current os? :slight_smile:

It’s a 15 year old shared computer.

I’m just wondering if there was something that could help.
And also i’m curious about other OSs. Want to experience somethign new, maybe not change…but at least somethign new.

Try Xubuntu, it’s ubuntu with a really lightweight window manager on it. It’s a bit tricky to get used to, but very very clean and very very fast.

edit- You can use a livecd to try it out, too.

That’s a good reason :slight_smile:

But a 15 year old computer? With Windows XP running on it? :confused:

HTML is a markup language (hypertext markup language) and is per definition no programming language. JavaScript is a script language and scipt languages are programming lanuages. MySQL is a database server. SQL is a query language. (structured query language) I think SQL is not turing complete, not counting stored procedures/triggers as SQL (correct me if I’m wrong). If you do cound them as SQL, then SQL is a full programming language.

A script != a program (use Google and you’ll find everything about it, I’m not going to start an offtopic discussion about it on a 3d-forum).

But I agree that the line between scripting and programming is become a bit vague with languages like Java, C# and even PHP.

<cue geezer voice> You ain’t a programmer till you’ve programmed in 16bit x86 assembly! </cue>

Seriously, I’ve been using Ubuntu for web development for almost a year now, and I’ve found it the most feature complete for this type of work. And I’ve tried dozens of OSes (Winodws XP, Vista, Solaris, OS X, Irix, etc.). And the next version of Ubuntu (Gusty) comes out tomorrow!

A script != a program (use Google and you’ll find everything about it, I’m not going to start an offtopic discussion about it on a 3d-forum).

From Wikipedia (and, by the way, accurate):

<snip>
A computer program is a collection of instructions that describes a task, or set of tasks, to be carried out by a computer.[citation needed] More formally, computer programs can be described as an expression of a computational method written in a computer language.[1]
</snip>

Being interpreted or compiled is not what makes the difference between a program and a non-program. Being able to carry out instructions equivalent to a Turing machine is what makes a programming language, as panzi said.

On topic, it depends on what kind of programming.

i’m a very hardcore “back-to-only-text” programmer
Suit yourself, but it’s almost impossible to fully take advantage of (or even comprehend the point of) object orientation without an IDE with a class and method browser (says the former Smalltalk programmer…)

Seriously, I’ve been using Ubuntu for web development for almost a year now, and I’ve found it the most feature complete for this type of work. And I’ve tried dozens of OSes (Winodws XP, Vista, Solaris, OS X, Irix, etc.). And the next version of Ubuntu (Gusty) comes out tomorrow!

I was using 6.10, but I had massive problems with ruby on rails. I’m using opensuse 10.3 now, and that’s been pretty damn good so far. I still like ubuntu though :slight_smile:

Not really. I mainly just use a text editor, and have no problems with OO. An IDE can help with large projects, but I mainly find them distracting for anything under about 50 classes. I’m only this way because it’s how I started and what I’m used to, I’d say it’s best for people to start with an IDE and learn to ignore most of it until it becomes useful.

An IDE can help with large projects, but I mainly find them distracting for anything under about 50 classes.

That’s kind of what I meant by “fully take advantage” of OOP. But I take your point. It does depend on the language you’re using and the situation you’re programming in.

Lately, for Python, I’ve been playing around with Stani’s Python Editor, which has some really cool integration for Blender. Seems like it’s got a lot of potential. I’m going to be teaching a year long seminar on Python scripting for Blender next year and I’m trying to find the most accessible setup for my students. SPE looks like it might be the way to go.

Yeah I see what you mean.

I never got around to using SPE much, but I’ve only made some toys in bpy. Looked good though.