Best game engine to go with Blender

Pretty much, and too many people spend more effort bickering about what engine to use rather than using it.

so upbge 0.3.0 is in blender 2.8 - loki is working on armature skinning on the gpu now

we need ATAA and then the render is almost current with unity and unreal.
(right now denoising using TAA has serious artifacts for moving actors / edges of screen)

there is a ArchLinuxArm port of blender 2.8 meaning we can port upbge there as well,
and from what I understand, porting to web* is similar to porting to ArchLinuxArm/android
(webGL instead of openGL-ES)
https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/blender

this is WAAAAY down the line.

right now I think making the engine work / be stable / performant is the idea.

Having an idea on what kind of platforms you would like to see your game is an important component in the game making process. Not only does it cover target audience (and where that target audience is concentrated at), it deals with the profitability of the project itself. Game development is also a job. If you want to grow your studio or make a living, knowing the platforms is important.

Never discount the importance of target audience as it relates to game design and the platforms it can be found on especially when your livelihood is part of the equation. There’s nuance in this subject. Good design is tempered by reality. When you know what the limits are based on your chosen parameters, you can then know how and where to push those limits.

You would be surprised at who would consider a game engine that can hit multiple platforms and be integrated into a full 3D package. One of things AAA studio Naughty Dog is known for is their game engine being built on top of Maya. Autodesk themselves bought out a game engine, called it Manta ray and tied it into their Maya. There’s a demand for that kind of game engine, just it has not been readily available or well presented for most.

As for “gameboy color/SNES throwbacks or whatever indie farts all the games you’ve listed classify”, I linked a series of indie games that did well on multiple platforms by small teams or one person, which you were focusing on. There are plenty that are not simply 2D. In fact I linked Dead Cells did I not?

What if I told you that a lot of the game was actually… 3D?!

This was made in the https://heaps.io/ game engine, which is free and open source (Haxe based).

Risk of Rain 2 is also another example. Developed by a 3 man team using Unity, it was exported onto everything from the nintendo switch, PS4, Xbox one and windows. In a little over a month, they sold over 1 million copies on just Steam alone.

My point is just look at the larger picture when it comes to small teams and indie devs. The engine that can hit a large range of platforms has a lot of appeal and they often get platform releases as a result if the game is good.

This highlights a problem with the reasoning given by BGE users as to whether their engine is ready for prime-time.

The same pattern has been seen for years, the BGE users saying we just need features A, B, and C to match or even surpass the big solutions. You get one or more of them courtesy of UPBGE development and suddenly it turns out features D, E, and F are needed too. I don’t think the pro-BGE argument is helped at all when we keep hearing how only a few things are needed to make an engine with very slow development lightyears better than Unreal after 22 massive releases (emphasized, because they really are massive).

In short, we are again hearing the latest revision of an argument that we’ve seen dozens of times over many years, just with a different feature on the wishlist.

And on the comment about UPBGE turning Blender into “the game”, it brings up the interesting fact that the Godot editor itself is actually a Godot game. The difference though is that the engine was designed (from the ground up) with that in mind as opposed to trying to shoehorn a similar concept into a fork of an app. as large as Blender.

2 Likes

actually I use the thing - and I have been paid to use unity and unreal.

I know what is wrong with the engine and what is right.

right now armature skinning is quite slow - hence a need for GPU armature skinning.
everything else is almost modern,
LOD needs restored / and also overlays

I am already making my dream game and it does everything I ask of it.

may I see your own work in any engine?

You couldn’t play Diablo 2 on consoles; it sold a million copies in two weeks.
Obviously good ports are likely to help. I won’t argue with that.
What I believe is that it’s more important to make a good game, than to make it available everywhere. I see it as a plus, not a must.

About Naughty: is any major AAA studio adopting Blender anytime soon, though? I mean it’d be rad, but I haven’t heard any rumors of that happening. I don’t pay much attention to news, however. What I do know, if you’ve spent years building in-house tools you don’t just drop them out of the blue. If smaller developers are switching to Armory and planning out heaps of cool titles then more power to them, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

“gameboy color/SNES throwbacks or whatever indie farts all the games you’ve listed classify” – Alright, I know this sounds pretty despective but you all know what I’m getting at, the retro pixel art look has gone rampant. It’s legit art and has lots of charm but I’m getting tired of seeing it everywhere, makes me not care as much.

Also,

Oh, NOICE. I thought it was just regular sprites! This is weird and awesome.
I mean not as much a mindeffery like when I learned the original DOOM was a top-down shooter (which meant for most of my childhood I was living a lie), but still pretty cool.

Okay,

I’ve enjoyed this exchange.

Not really a good example, Diablo 1 was released on multiple platforms, namely the Playstation 1 as well as PC. Diablo 3 also appeared on many different platforms. I am not saying one game on one platform cannot do well obviously.

What is important to make a game you wish to sell, key word, is to not only make it good (obvious) but also identify your target audience and plan accordingly (which includes which platforms you would like to see your game on). These are not separate things, they can all be done together. You are not picking between making a good game, or building on an engine that gives you access to other platforms. You an have both quite easily. Nothing is being sacrificed in the process. I agree its also not a must but it should also be a major consideration when it comes to game development. =)

I never claimed Naughty Dog was adopting Blender. Thats not why I even brought them up.
My point in bringing Naughty Dog up was to show they approached tying their game engine to a 3D modeling software, literally building it on top of the 3D software. That offers a kind of appeal to game developers and really speeds up the workflow. This was mentioned because Armory is doing just that.

Side note, Ubisoft has started to adopt Blender but mostly for their animation department. Obviously not with a blender based game engine in mind.

But you don’t get tired of seeing all the 3D games out there that often look the same? Same logic applies. Many of these artist are just slapping on the same substance materials, often using Unreal or Unity with a very similar graphical feel. Wouldnt you be tired of those since they are “over played”?

I think maybe you just don’t find anything appealing in pixel art or 2D style games, and there is nothing wrong with that but lets not blame it on being “over done”.

The reason why a lot of indie developers tend to go with 2D games is that they are smaller in scope. Smaller teams can accomplish more with that art style, it is less risky, less expensive and easier to manage. I think 2D games tend to age better than 3D ones, namely the ones in the past with lower resolutions and lower polygon counts.

Anyways this is starting to get off topic. I’ll just end with reaffirming that access to multiple platforms on one engine empowers the user to target one or all of them, without switching engines entirely. There is definitely a major perk in that aspect.

so again what upbge needs is a ‘armature skinning’, ’ LOD needs restored / and also overlays ', and a ’ licence upgrade so one can publish ’ . I will use blender to model my assets, ( lots of them ), and after, i’ll see if upbge is up to date to be used for publish a game ( nobody would like to have it’s own work reseled )

“and a ’ licence upgrade so one can publish”

Blender cannot change the license at this point. That is one of the inherent problems associated with effectively turning it into a game engine (upbge). You are better off trying to use Armory in that case, which is still based around Blender but does not have those inherent problems.

2 Likes

the licence is fine - there are blender games in steam.

you just have to package the assets externally (program ‘output’ is not gpl)

python is automatically GPL if you import BGE or BPY modules (or any other GPL lib)

also nintendo switch is now GPL compatible, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/
xbox one is basically a PC now too I think so steam applies.

Stop lying - you can publish bge games and sell them.

checkout tomato jones 1,2,3 and Krum,
there are other also but I am having trouble remembering the names.

1 Like

you made my day ! can be done, so i’ll just continue work using quess what ? blender and upbge ! :rofl: