Best introductory audio book?

Hey, guys. For a long time I’ve been interested in the field of audio. In fact, I one day hope to pursue a degree in this field. For right now, however, I’m still learning the basics and working my way up. So I was wondering if any of you guys know a good book or a couple of good books that serve as a sufficient introduction to working with audio. Something concerning mixing and/or mastering would be nice as I am highly involved in music. I’m looking for something simple. Perhaps something that discusses sample rates, formats, mixing, mastering, things of that nature. Thanks in advance!

Hey, I don’t actually have a suggestion. But I’m gonna answer your post just because I don’t see that anyone else has.

I haven’t had any actual training in audio, just what I can figure out for myself. I’ve been working on, operating, and setting up sound systems since I was fourteen. And I hope to go to college for audio specifically, everything about it. I recommend hands-on-training, download audacity for starters, just open up audio files in it and mess around, you’ll learn a lot if you apply yourself. At some event at a high-school, church, theater, etc., go talk to the guys on the soundboard (before or right after), we get lonely because no one comes and talks to us except when a mic stops working (usually they mute it and forget that they did). But really, a book won’t teach you as much about something as actually doing it.

Good luck!

Oops, that made me sound like I’m against books, I’m not, I love books. All I’m saying is hands on experience is gonna help a lot.

Hey, man. Thanks for answering. I think you’re right about hands-on experience. Lol, of course the soundboard guys get lonely. I rarely ever see them. But about the whole Audacity thing, I’ve actually been messing with Audacity for a while now. This may be a pretty noobish (is that a word?) question, but how many math classes would one have to take in order to get a degree in audio engineering?

I’m not entirely sure, but I would expect quite a lot of math classes. Probably different for each college/university/school.

So… You want to work be an audio engineer? That’s plain awesome.

Since you’ve downloaded audacity, zoom in as close as you can until you can see all the individual points. Examine them, listen to them, think about what they could possibly mean, count how many there are in each second, and realize you’ve learned something about the sample rate.

As far as books, I’ve read through parts of Curtis Roads’sThe Computer Music Tutorial (I own the book, but its BIG, and I haven’t had time to go through the entire thing). I’ve found it good in most cases, it covers some fairly basic mathematical theory (including some rudimentary DSP) among many many many other topics (that aren’t mathematical ;)), even if its a little old.

As far as college is concerned, a lot of schools offer an audio production or a music technology major (or commercial music). Generally the programs are some mix of EE, CS, and Music depending on which department is the head department (for instance if the music department is offering the degree, it’ll be more heavily based on music principles than if say the CS or EE department were offering it).

Again the level of math involved depends heavily on which department is offering it, but at the least expect to do basic calculus (its pretty much a general requirement for college), but also be prepared for signal processing courses which, depending on how its approached and the level they expect you to understand it at, can range from just complex algebra (i.e. dealing with complex numbers in a variety of different ways) up to some pretty heavy calculus and vector analysis (though I suspect music people don’t really do that ;)).

Again all of that is quite dependent on college. I personally know a lot of the technical theory behind it and a lot of what a more technical college would require you to do. A more artsy-fartsy college is going to be more likely to gloss over (or ignore) the technical stuff (i.e. math) and do more of the music theory, performance, etc. aspect of it.

:eek: Calculus? :eek: Algebra? :eek: Numbers? Nooooo!! :spin:

Lol, but that’s somewhat what I expected. I was thinking about majoring in CS and maybe audio engineering as a minor. . But either way, looks like I’ll need a math tutor!

What’s wrong with calculus, algebra? It’s a lot better than Fine Arts and writing assignments.

I’m afraid this may sound stupid, but what is “CS”? I’ve never really gotten into acronyms.

Counter-Stri… er… Computer Science :smiley:

Yeah, CS is Computer Science and there’s nothing wrong with math. I mean it’s useful and everything, it’s just the fact that it’s my worst subject. Better than Fine Arts and writing assignments?! Wait, wait. Better than writing assignments? How? Writing/Literary Arts have always been my best subjects. I’ve never really been able to grasp math.

Math is all around you. Its the universal language. As far as schooling goes there is simply nothing more important than math because it gives you the ability to see logic everywhere.

Oh believe me, I understand the importance of math. Guys, all I’m saying is that I’m not good at it. I’m not downplaying its role in CS and life in general. I’m just saying that it’s not my strong point which is why I certainly plan to get a tutor. :slight_smile:

You will need to learn a lot of math. Math is used a lot in audio, even more in computers.

I’m the opposite, I’m planning to major in audio related studies, and have something with computers as my minor. I’ve already had a few years of work in audio, so it should be easier on me to learn. For my computer minor, I’ve been studying programming languages in the hope of furthering my education in that regard.