Best laptop brand?

Hey peoples

I am thinking about ordering a custom laptop, but am wondering, what is the best brand or company to order from? Mostly all I do is Blender or play games.

Lenovo makes great laptops, while keeping very low prices. Definitely better than Dell and HP, etc.

We use Dell Notebooks, simply because they offer 17" screens with 1980x1200. Wich is rather nice for CG

If a big screen isn´t needed and more mobility is wanted i´d go with a IBM/Lenovo but a series with a quadro graphic card. (Thinkpad, not the cheapass Lenovo)

And HP… no.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128686

I asked the nice folks around here for some advice on laptops and Lenovo/Dell (high end) seemed to be the main concensus.

Also of note, everyone agreed that Macbook Pro had a great build quality, whether the price was worth it was debated a bit, but it is really up to you and your budget.

This might be counted as a highjack, but I just wanted to share something I read the other day. It was written that spelling incorrectly is actually a sign of cleverness. Like BenDansie has written concensus, which is actually spelled consensus. They said that this is a sign that we can spot patterns and use it sub-consciously or something. Just to let you know.

There’s also a brand that lets you put together your own laptop… now if only I could remember it.

Ok so Ill start looking at Lenovo. I don’t really care so much for a big screen, I’d just like to be able to work on it anywhere.

Ok I found a really cool one. The one with the built in tablet. But my question is, ow much do I really need it for blender? I’m sure it would help for textures, but anything else?

And how about NVIDIA Geforce 9300 for graphics?

While in the years I taught I never saw a Mac fall apart but that with plenty of PC laptops.

I would go with MacBookPros.

The have better build quality, great functional hardware, and last long.

They also have a good re sell value what I cannot say from most other brands.

Ya well I was looking at a good MacBook Pro a while ago, but what I wanted would run up to close to 2000 dollars. What I found now is just over 800.

Ok well I’ll check out mac again. I could always go for a refurbished one.
Or I could pay by month…

I got a gateway, but I am not a big fan of gateways, they seem to break faster, but the price was 600$ for: 1280x800 resolution, 120Gb harddrive, 3 GB ram, Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz processor, and Intel x3100 graphics 965GP card (DirectX10 capable, 240MB up to 348MB shared). Not a very good graphics card, but the best for a laptop under 1000$ dollars. I got it at Best Buy or Circuit city I forgot

Ok well, aparently you need a special visa to pay by month, so I’m not sure right now. I guess I got to save some money first.

But the gateway might be okay. I’ve never had any problems with anything breaking. I still have a working NES.

I bought a Lenovo T61p about 4 months ago, got it for just under $1000 and I am absolutely in love with it. Seriously. Like, it’s getting physical.

In anycase:
15" 1680x1050 screen
Quadro FX 570 256 Mb of RAM
Vista Home Basic
1 gig of RAM (I was trying to save money, will add more any day as Vista is a dog on 1 gig)
100 Gig 7200 RPM drive.
Just a CD Burner

Not real fancy and it depends on your tastes but I think they are sexy. They have some of that Mac appeal in that they are simple and, to my mind, elegant. They don’t try to make it look like a spaceship. Runs Blender a treat. Can’t say enough good things about it.

This replaced a 7 year old Dell Inspiron 8000 that is still running so I can’t say anything bad about Dell’s laptops, at least not circa 2001.

Ok cool. Well I customised one for $833. I think that wil do just fine for what I want.

I but my first G4 macbookpro in 2003 and it’s still good to use in many cases even when I bout a new one this januar with partial payment. I’m wery happy a bout the new one to the old one I lend to a friend and he is happy a bout it too. To think of my treatmen of the old one I think an ordenary one wold have broke long a go. I drop it once 1,5m down on the floor. A second time i ran in to the powercabel and it littery flew from the tabel down to the floor. The only thing that happen was that the aluminum shall break.

Were else wold you be abel to by a dual processor at 1.6ghz eatch and 4 gig of ram in an Aluminium or titanium case. And with their megasafe contacts that will protect te PC from being torn down on the floor by any one that ran on the cabel.

Yes I now expensiv but will also last long. I baye the memmory at mac-stor oline but ITIdiots.com said it is better to bay the extra memmorie form 3rd party curse mac taking more for the memmory than the 3rd pary does.

Mac , Mac or Mac , if not Dell , or Mac ;D

Well ok then. I’ll look at saving 1500 dollars.

I know it is a lot of money.

However when you want a PC with the same quality and fines in the product you will probably even pay more.

The MacBookPros have the following features which are quite great:

illuminated key which adjust to environmental light level.
>>If it is getting dark step by step gets the key light stronger.

Display brightness adjustment.
>> If you work in a dark room the display will adjust brightness so it is better for you eyes and you remain the same color feeling.

They might seem as gadget but when you work in many light environments illuminated keys ARE a help.

Communication:
A mic and webcam are all build into the Mac and they have a great quality. The mic is very fine and picks up even a plane that when talking with somebody.

MagSafe:
You power connector is magnetic. When somebody pulls the power cable he will not also pull you laptop.

Shock System:
The mac has a shock sensor - when the book moves to fast it parks the hard disk to prevent any damage.

Dualview Video Card - You can run OS X or Win or Linux on it - Firewire and USB 2 ports in mass - infra red for DVD Audio software controll (laptop as a TV)

For me the biggest two parts are next to build and hardware that you can run Win on it or Linux and that the computer does not lose value as drastically as other brands.

This means even when you invest more - you also get more back when you sell.

Look into Apples refurbished program. I never had any issue - actually always bought stuff there. They have full warrenty and no damages.

Ok cool thanks for all the info. The shock sensor sounds really cool. I guess I’ll start looking.

Edit:
Hows this?
Model Refurbished MacBook Pro
Processor 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
Display 15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 x 900 resolution, TFT widescreen
PCI Express Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
Video Built-in iSight Camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)
Audio Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone
Hard disk drive 120GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Ethernet Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Modem Apple USB Modem (sold separately)
Input Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; scrolling Trackpad
Expansion One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800,two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot
Weight 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed
Footprint 14.1 x 9.6 inches
Thickness 1.0 inch (2.59 cm)
Video accessories DVI to VGA adapter included (other adapters sold separately)
Hardware accessories 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

What’s the price? MBK Pros are pretty sweet, definitely a nice computer. Oh yea, and your comment about NESs doesn’t really apply, NESs are super well built, and most of them still work today. My N64 does as well… forget about today’s consoles though, Xbox 360s are dropping like flies.