Best practice to make a transition between two displacement maps

What do you think is the best practice to blend between two different displacement maps?

As you can see in the images below currently I have assigned two different materials to the front and side faces. Similar like to the box more I am looking for a blend ability - feathering out the strength of a texture to the edge of the UV map ideally.

Any idea?

I think you can use the bevel shader for the edge detection and drive the edge blendings (just multiply the image with the result from the bevel) with it.

Would such a material and construction even exist? Is there a real world reference?

In a very, very general sense? Make a B&W texture, use it as mixRGB between two different displacement maps. Same as blending other material params, except you might have to be a little more careful about getting a smooth border. Is that what you’re after?

All you need is to CNC the Mill surface with those structures.

hmm even when there are no hard edges?

Blending yes between the two displacement maps + values yes!

a simple black n white mask however does not work when blending displacement vector values .

I also noticed that I just do not only need blending between two textures but to the UV end each texture needs to feather out - aka get flat again before the next texture starts

you can see here how the two textures are just melted

With a mask made the problem remains how the 3d displacement will work
Ideally I would like to have each texture to its border get faded out so that the chair geometry along those edges is not displaced. here you can see the edge issue still present.

I have the feeling the main issue is that both materials (sides and center) use also different displacement scale values too.

While this nice seam also looks elegant.

also technically speaking this all could be sculpted and via masks blended - but this is very time consuming and the material displacement via rendering is super fast to explore pattern and design ideas.

too bad the render mesh could not be made usable for this

Further - one option could be to feather out one texture (like side with its mask) and then father out the center texture with a mask and finally combine both together.

I am not sure how to set this up with nodes because with the mixer we mainly mix a with b but I somewhat want A + B + keep the edges untouched by 3d displacement

This is like A side + B Center + C Overlay original chair with untouched edges
In the image you see how to the corner the displacement looses its strength

After mixing A and B can you not simply multiply it with C? Leave everything in C white and only fade it to black at the edges where you want to blend.

True - but how would you deal with offering different displacement scales for each texture?

Maybe weight A and B ?

By bad, I thought it looked like a fabric chair.
Btw, surface milling leaves tool marks extremely difficult to mimic correctly.

Oh yes thats true - this is all just currently a theoretical idea.
Via surface etching textures are added. But this chemical process is not ideal too.

I am a major clown - the mid level in my displacement where not set to 0.5 but 0.05 always making an offset !!!

the only thing now to figure out is : how to give each texture a different influence (depth) for the displacement

most interesting:
how to turn this rendering into a 3d mesh - maybe a highly tessellated mesh and displacement modifier will do

The displacement scales don’t matter. Since multiplying with black means multiplying with zero, so no matter your scale, hight or any other setting will be zero.

Mix displacement A with displacement B and then multiply with displacement C.

multiply aka math node ?

So I thought, but then I tried and it didn’t work. Neither with the vector math node and neither with the mix rgb node.

yeah thats kinda the wall I hit too

A friend suggested vertex color and pointiness node

I looked it up. Plastic milling is way less prone to tool marks than I expected. I used to be a metal machinist ages ago.
If this thing is for printing or experiment, then so be it. But for actual full size working furniture production you wouldn’t mill it out from a single piece. Manufacturing costs is a thing. Sitting on hard plastic sounds horrible :smiley:

I think I would just do mask*effectA and (1-mask)*effectB added together. EffectA/B can be scaled independently, added, then fed into displacement.

1 Like

Hi Carl this would be made via rotational molding.

yeah instead of trying to mix between two materials I made one material with where the side and center have different materials and they all feed into the same displacement. The textures for the displacement is adjusted value wise to give different results.