Best procedural way to create chipped, worn edges?

(Basilman) #1

Hello, I would like to know if there is a better procedural way to created chipped, worn edges for objects. The first answer, which uses several modifiers in this link here does a decent non destructive job, but when used on anything other than a very basic cube or cylinder, it falls short.

I tried doing it another way by creating a particle system of small little ‘chip’ objects that emits from the edges of a cube, convert it as a mesh and use that as a boolean for the cube that is to be chipped. But it does not look natural at all.

I could try my hand at sculpting every chip myself, but I would much prefer to do this in a procedural method to save time. Thank you!

(William) #2

You could do it all using the shader and displacement.

Use the new AO node as a mask, then set up some procedural textures to perform the displacement at the edges.

(Emir Sinan Gürlek) #3

Did you try procedural material (see second answer on that link)?

(Basilman) #4

when doing the second answer, it distorts my object at an angle. Not sure how to displace it and keep it in the same place.

(Emir Sinan Gürlek) #5

You probably have newer version of Blender (which is good).
If your displacement input of the material output node is blue (vector), then you must use displacement node. That answer is kind of old which has a grey socket at displacement.

(burnin) #6

Instead of using particles, simply use modified beveled edges
ie. duplicate & separate edges, convert to Curve & Bevel. Turn back to Mesh, add Displace modifier… and so on.

WornEdges_example.blend (1001.0 KB)

PS
i also used OpenVDB remesh on edges after first Displace iteration

(Basilman) #7

Not quite the look i’m going for, but I appreciate it! Still trying to figure this out though.

(burnin) #8

Would you then care to show what your intended “Look” looks like?

(Basilman) #9

Like this. Some cracks and chips around the edges. It’s like a stylized stone type of look, and i’m wondering if this can be done procedurally.

Well, if you’re fine with just having it being a material thing you can combine the pointiness node with various generated noise textures to get procedural edge wear. However making geometry out of it I don’t know how to do.

(Basilman) #11

I’m experimenting with that, but im confused on how to limit displacement to the edges, when working with nodes

That would be the pointiness node, although I think it’s broken in the newer versions?

(Basilman) #13

The newer one has the better bevel node combined (using vector math via cross product) with the geometry node’s normal output.