Best Renderer

Hello guys!

Im searching for a good renderer for blender. I already googeld a bit, and saw that most people siad that there wasnt a thing as the best renderer or so, it depends on what you want. Well simple : Realistic results, Im nog realy an architect or making scenes that especialy require realistic renders but I like them anyway and I think they will look good on my results.
Im thinking of getting the Indigo plugin, but has anyone better suggestions or usefull tips?

Thanks guys!

Looking to spend money or free ones only? For architecture I would recommend Yaffaray, VRay or Octane.

By now I´d recommend Octane even for animations.

Octane´s evolving, the Plugin for Blender is evolving. And while it is in beta it really is a bargain.
And if you use direct lighting instead of pathtracing it works kickass. Results are decent already with 256 samples/px.
It got it problems though with direct lighting and smooth and other “geometry effects” but i am confident its going to be under control sooner or later.

And if you use pathtracing you can get photorealistic stills quite fast given the right graphic card :slight_smile:

@Quandtum: by your sig i assume you´r a Octane Licensed Customer as well, as the free demo (hint for boxlol) is a lower version… 2.41 is out :wink:

Ya, I updated earlier today over lunch but haven’t updated sig yet. Nice to have trans-shadows fixed finally =D

The results (realistic or not) is going to largely depend on you and your skills with lighting and texturing. Unfortunately, most people think that if they have a “great” or the “perfect” renderer, it will solve all their problems and there renders will automatically come out looking awesome at the touch of a button.

You can stick with the Blender Internal renderer and get great results, but if you want to use an external renderer I would recommend: YafaRay, LuxRender, SunFlow, Kerkythea, or any one of the open-source/free renderers. Also, you can get great results from using Pov-Ray.

If you want realistic renders then learn Lighting and Texturing well. It can be a hard and difficult path, but one that will showcase your 3D skills for years to come.

So, in conclusion: Better your lighting and texturing skills, the better your renders!!!

Nail on head! … they’re just tools. Don’t get me wrong, some tools work better for somethings better than others, but back to dleri’s comment, you need the knowledge to know.

I second dleri.

But I also think that a raytracer like Luxrays and Octane are a great opportunity to learn as (depending on your hardware) they got “live/realtime”-feedback.
I think it is much easier with them to get a hang of materials and textures. You can tweak the material according to your perception until it just feels right, and learn from the settings you used.
It doesn´t circumvent though to know the basics of how materials and light work.
I find it to be more artistic and less technical or physical to realtime tune your materials - and many new users just don´t have the patience to re-render a scene every time a material changed. Sure you got a material preview, but 90% of the time the renderresult is completely different because of the lighting setup due to intensity or angle…

The results (realistic or not) is going to largely depend on you and your skills with lighting and texturing. Unfortunately, most people think that if they have a “great” or the “perfect” renderer, it will solve all their problems and there renders will automatically come out looking awesome at the touch of a button.

Actually i think Yafaray more or less accomplishes this :wink: No seriously i find myself limited in the use of blender internal, exteriors are easy enough, but interiors… that’s another story, Yafaray won’t setup materials for you automatically, it wont give you a good render automatically. But it provides realistic lightning, and BRDF materials. Instead of using a large amount of lights, i can use a few, with more realistic results :slight_smile:

I highly recommend Yafaray, even for non GI uses, i find the raytracer to be faster than blenders internal.

I’ve felt the same way, in fact this alone has even helped me completely understand the difference between bump and normal map… It’s a very good point.

Guiseppe also makes good point and leads me too… It is a tool, and each tool fits each person uniquely, and each person has a unique style. I’ve told others before, try them all, one tool will feel better to you than others. It’s like buying a bed, you have to lay on lots of mattresses to find the one most comfortable to you and the one you feel will help you rest the best, and sometimes even then, you still get the wrong one and go back out and try again.

With the FOSS renderers though, with the pay ones there are evaluation demos, it costs you nothing to try them out. Try and learn them all and then make an informed decision (that’s what I did), and even then you may still use some of the other ones from time to time as you want to change your style up some, but now you know how to use them.

So true arexma… I’ve been using blender for about 18 months now and I love it. I just downloaded the demo of Octane and I love it for the realtime feedback. Now I just need to get. Faster Mac :wink:

Rich

why is yafaray not finished for 2.5? vray works and luxrender works.

http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3520
Since blender 2.5 is still not finished why do you expect a 3rd party application to be finished to support it.

because vray and luxrender works. and tons of other renders.

Yafaray also works, and settings can be animated, where have you been…?

More pertinently, why are you asking this here? The appropriate place to ask about Yafaray is at yafaray.org