Best video card?

I’m looking to upgrade my desktop, and would like to know what video cards are good.

I’ve heard that ATI has problems with blender, and that nvidea is better.

I use the GE a lot, so it needs to support GLSL.
Any more info I need to give just ask.:slight_smile:

It’s that time again!
I was thinking about posting a new thread, but why waste the forum space?
Anyway…

I’m looking at getting a new computer, and would like to know what I should have on it for blender.
I figure that I’m definitely getting nvidia, but is there anything else I need to make sure it has?
(hopefully I get more replies than last time :p)

If you want the best results, I would get the latest Nvidia card. For even better results get linux because it has a lot less un-nessary things then windows. It’s free too, but if you want a manuel and a package it’s about $50CAN… It’s better then $200 for windows vista. It takes some time to get used to but you will not regret getting it after about 1 month. It’s really hard to start off, but with IRC you can get the best version of blender all the development tools and all that kind of stuff… It’s worth it! It’s free! :yes:

Fedora 11

When you download it, put onto a CD, make sure it’s tottally clean, with nothing on it… That nothing has been written on it. Then boot your computer from DVD/CD. To install it, it’s a bit hard, you can chech google for that. If you just want to try it out, you can boot from DVD/CD and use it, use FireFox look on google on how to install fedora because if you have windows you’ll need to split the harddrive, it’s much easier if you don’t have anything on it. :yes:

If you get FEDORA 11 then read the following if not, skip it, lol. Open up the terminal and type in:
su -c 'yum install ‘Development Tools’ ’
[Type in Password for root]
Then it’ll start installing all the essentials you need.
C Compiler, ect…
If it asks you a question you can type in y/n to agree or disagree.

I suggest you install blender from the respository also because it’s easier and faster… You can ask people on IRC #Fedora for how to get the latest version of blender if you want. Or you can submit a bug fix and the respsitory will have the latest version added.

That’s most of the information to get linux… Oh yeah, this is all the basics, read more about so you can add it on it properly.

Do This all to your risk lol It’s a suggestion :slight_smile:

I actually already have an ubuntu cd on the way in the mail… :wink:

Ubuntu is a bit different… I think you just change yum into SUDO and install to get or something you can ask people on IRC :yes: they are really nice :wink:

I used ubuntu for about 2 weeks on my hpdv6000 laptop. I doesn’t have the graphics ability to do the neat stuff that Ubuntu can do, which I’ve heard is really amazing, but what it does have is a long way to go before it will be of any use to me. There are supposed to be programs that let you back up dvds for instance, but I couldn’t get any of these to work, I tried only 2, that’s all I could find. Until they get more software, what’s the point? There is a way to dual boot the 2 os’s but I’m just keeping windows vista for now with a deleted set of registry folders and comodo firewall. hOping ThiS will stop hangups and crashes.

@gfs: my dad uses a program on ubuntu called handbrake to backup our movies, and it works just fine.

I like ubuntu, but I think I’m just going to upgrade my video card for now. (and keep Win XP)
Which brings me back to my original question. What should I look for in a video card for blender?

If your looking at Nvidia, the best Nvidia card available would be the Geforce GTX 295M. However, it’s extremely expensive ($500 I think…).

Personally, I use a Nvidia GTX 260M with 1 GB of memory, and it works perfectly with blender. Over 1.5 million polygons at 40 fps. =3

Well as i have heard only older/intergrated ati gives alot of trouble but something like the ATI Radeon 4870 or 4890, i have heard works fine, but if your using linux, nvidia would be the way to go for now i have heard.

I currently have a nvidea geforce 4.
I like nvidea, and am planning on sticking with them instead of ati.

yikes, $500 is a little out of my price range…
I currently have a total of $100 for buying a video card, btw.

This will be more than enough power for you buddy :smiley:
I currently have an 8800GTX and its more or less around the same power as the 9800GT and i still get 30-60 FPS in all new games. (apart from crysis :P) so its going to have plenty of power and then some, when you use blender :slight_smile:
The only real difference between the two cards is that the 8800GTX has a wider bus so it will have a little more muscle at higher resolutions but the 9800 has a smaller core so it uses much less power :slight_smile:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134066

Hope that helps!

Minifig: if you are looking for render power, a multiple core processor is the best, video card won’t affect rendering a whole lot. But if you’re looking for game engine speed and that sort of thing…then you need a good video card.

What about a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500?
That’s what Starcraft 2 says that it’ll need to be able to play it…
(and yes, I’m wanting this for the GE)

It might display stuff on the screen…but no…don’t go there.

For a minimum I’d get a 9500GT (~$60) or a 9800 GT (~$100)

Um, no. With the fx you are entering the dark ages. 4 was good, fx wasn’t 6 started to aproach where 4 was again 7 was pretty good for the time.

I would say that you should go for a newish card because new stuff supports stuff like GLSL and will continue to support new stuff farther into the future

All these people are steering you right. DON’T go FX! If you have to stay under $100, get the best card that fits the architecture of the PC your getting. Nvidia released 8000 series, 9000 series, and then went back to, like 200 series.

I mean 8000 series had 8200, 8400, 8600, 8700, 8800, 8900, etc. The higher the number, the better the chip on the card is.

GT usually means the memory is faster…that’s good. It means prettier pictures on your screen and they get drawn faster.

And so that leads to the the amount of memory…er…RAM. The more the better.

Problem is, it’s not fair if we don’t know the architecture of the PC you’re buying. There are subtle changes you can make to certain things you buy that can make a big difference.

An ASUS motherboard with an older Intel chipset will run excellent with dual 7600 graphic cards in SLI mode, however an Nvidia motherboard would walk all over that with a single 9200 GT.

Sorry, not to confuse you, but let’s hear what yer gettin dude!

for about $125 on newegg you can get a Nvidia GTS 250 which is what I got (I’ll have 2 soon :slight_smile: )

The Nvidia 250 is actually a re-branded 9800GTX+(but made with a 55 nm process) which you can get from new egg for $119.

I think its a good idea to get the 250 because it will have lower power consumption and is almost the same price…plus you could overclock it more because of the smaller core process.
Nice thinking RAMBO

Generally the hierarchy or Nvidia cards go like this:-

X3XX low end
X6XX Mid Range
X8XX High End

X8XX GS
X8XX GTS
X8XX GT
X8XX GTX
X8XX GTX+

XX50 or XX5 Double GPU on a single card.

Unfortunately it gets more complicated when you start comparing cards with the from different series :S

A 8300 will not beat a 7800 but a 8600 would (or would be around the same)

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I currently have a gtx 260 which I have to say is running mighty fine, if not a little toasty.
Have a look at the gts250, it’s a very good card and good value for money - If that’s a little out of your price range you could go for a 9800gt which are also very good.

Personally i’d just see what the best nvidia card you can get for your money is - They’re all very good from my experience.

I would Nvidia the highest version