Best way to add bunch of ropes hanging?

I wonder what is the best method for adding bunch of ropes tied and hanging around some wooden planks like in the example below?

I know you can create spline and add depth to it but adjusting the spline is quite slow and painful sometimes. And the results tend to look also quite generic.

I’m not sure, but aside from drawing the rope positions with the pencil tool with curves set to stick to surface, there is this geometry nodes solution here that looks interesting.

1 Like

How to do you make the curve stick to surface?

In Object mode, add a Bezier curve. In Edit mode, delete the control points and then choose the Draw tool and turn on Surface up on the top menu bar - begin drawing and the curve will stick to the surface. At the end of the curve the last control point is highlighted, and you can stroke again to add to the same curve from that control point. Once you are satisfied, you can turn off Surface and then manually drag some of the curve away from the object surface to simulate gravity.

I see the potential the draw tool can work in some salutations but in my case it makes quite messy result

In my previous DCC I used to have this type of a tool which was really nice. Not perfect but it was kind of fast and good control to build any kind of ropes.

Wonder if there is anything similar?

You mean just ctrl-click to extrude to mouse position?

While on Edit Mode, just activate Snap set to Face, and you’ll get the same behaviour when extruding new curve points Ctrl + RMB

1 Like

The face project on its quite close already but I guess at this point the biggest slowdown is the need to constantly adjust the bezier handles. I tried the align rotation option too but that makes it worse since it orients the bezier handle to the normal of the face facing outwards