Best way to optimize Rigify with Linked collections?

I am currently using Rigify for an animation. From googling about this, the best way is to disable other assets in your scene using the disable in viewport from the outliner.

Problem is I have a lot of assets in different collections for light linking and also shift linked to other collections. So I used shift M to link to a new collection all the assets I want to disable in the viewport while only having the rigged character and the required assets it will interact with in the viewport.

Problem is if I click disable in viewport for this new Linked collection. All the meshes in the collection remain visible in the viewport. The Linked collection has no effect on the scene at all.

Have you applied library overrides for both selected and content and have you applied that to both the collection and then again each object in the collection?

I usually find I have to basically apply the override twice once I link in my character collection in order for my scripts, etc to work. Where the scripts then have a single button or a few to adjust visibility or subdiv levels etc.

1 Like

I found another way, changed all the objects in my scene to box for viewport display. Performance is better.

Another issue I am noticing is that the Rig layers window for Rigify doesn’t show up in Blender 4.1:
VVu

I am trying to turn the armature display off and have only the controls showing.

Yeah, if its an old (3.6) file, then due to the change to bone collections, the Rig layers then won’t show in Blender 4+

In theory you still have the base metarig (which you should never delete from working files) and hence if you re-generate the rig, it will update the script, use bone collections and add the Rig layer buttons back.

1 Like

Really? Unfortunately I deleted mine. Thanks for the info. Will take note going forward.
What if you have already done animation with the old rig. if you regenerate the rig in 4.1, will all the animations stay intact?

They seem too. Keep in mind its the bone layers/collections that have changed, not the actual names of the DEF bones or the controllers, etc of the generated rig. So any animation and hence the action they are stored in will still apply and work just the same.

You can still fix the Rig layers, but it’s going to take some work and messing around, hence one of the reasons to always keep the metarig.

This video shows how: https://youtu.be/RiN3ZKlxZaI?t=277

1 Like

Thanks a ton :+1: