Best way to unwrap?

I am trying to unwrap this object. I have separated the windows but I am still getting some stretching and was wondering what would be the best way to unwrap the part I have circled?

Unwrap

I’d select sections and unwrap with project from view for a building, finally marking seams from islands once it’s all done.
Rough idea shown in this little video, not 100% but enough to give you an idea hopefully.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jpj-03YyrP9jqG5YelqQifF5hp6yYril/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

You could try just lining the outer edges where it starts to extrude inward, cut away those windows and unwrap as separate piece (in blue). If you’re still getting stretching, you could try adding supporting edge loops (green lines), near the corners and edges of the model. This might cut down on stretching.

b2

@colkai has the right answer. This will keep your mapping uniform and at the same proportions as long as you keep the camera at the same distance for each angle. Just select all faces facing the same way and use Project From View, and use the numpad keys to change the view of the camera.

Thanks. I thought I was getting pretty good with Blender until I see the kind of work real experts do. I hope this will be useful to other novices.

Yes, we have to help each other because nobody else will.

Your video was very helpful. Were you using the coplanar selection to hide parts? Using project from view seems to be an excellent way to unwrap buildings.

Yep, either co-planar, or where I thought there may be faces I don’t want on a similar plane, I use select linked flat faces, which I have tied to the old 2.79 shortcut CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F for speed.
For me, project from view is the most effective way of doing it, whilst I can mark seams and get a long flat face, it can also sometimes be an inefficient use of the UV space. It depends, if it’s to stay within Blender, I don’t care as with seamless textures, the final look is important. If exporting to something like Substance Painter though, then I tend to unwrap to use the maximum sapce in the map where possible.