Better Dice-tutorial

(Detritus) #1

Hi!
I think I´ve come up with a better way of making a dice, then the way [email protected] describes on his site.
[email protected] way is based on subdividng the cube, which creates a lot of unnecessary vertices.
If you don´t subdivide the cube, and instead round the corners of by using the Spin-button on one quarter of a circle, you get perfectly round corners and no unnecessary meshes at the edges. Tada! I don´t know if this is a well-known trick, but I wanted to show it to the community. Someone might get some use of it.
I can upload some pictures of a dice made with my trick on demand.

(Jolly Gnome) #2

???
Please, show some images (screenshots from Blender too), so that I’ll get what on earth are you talking about

(MaceG) #3

You just don’t hear that much about the ol’ spin button.

(rndrdbrian) #4

Now that is a very clever trick! I hadn’t thought of that!

I suppose it could also be used to make nice beveled edges on objects!

cheers!

Brian

(Detritus) #5

Exactly Brian! It´s good for making erasers and stuff, everyting with nice, curved edges. But I´ll post some images when I get time!
Cheers!

(basse) #6

well, i just checked out the tutorial, and the guy is definetely subdividing madly…
you dont actually need that many. I just played around a bit, and I did cube with round corners only with 24 vertices, 26 faces. subsurf level 2 looked great.

http://www.lib.hel.fi/~basse/tmp/cube1.jpg

and, the sinking of dots worked in this version too… you just have to use lowpoly uvshere and subsurfs…

but, please, how DID you use spin button? I know what it does, but really dont see how would you use it here?

.b

(beatabix) #7

i posted an even better method on the old blender site.

add a cube & scale it down to the size that you want to bevel.
move it +1 units on each plane (use CTRL).
duplicate it & move it -2 units on the X axis.
select both cubes, duplicate, & move -2 units on the Y axis.
select all four cubes, duplicat, & move -2 units on the Z axis.
join all eight meshes (CTRL+J).
enter edit mode, & delete the eight innermost vertices.
you now have eight corners, which can be very easily connected, using the F button to make a rudimentary bevelled cube (with sub-surf), OR you can keep going and make a near perfect bevelled cube…

this is quite difficult to explain without diagrams or a sound knowledge of blender’s more intricate workings, particularly material indices and accurate mesh modelling techniques

using basically the same method as above, but with cubes twice the size of your intended bevel, assign two distinctly different materials to the mesh using material indices (black and white for simplicity).
select all verts, and subdivide (W >> subdivide).
assign the black material to the whole mesh.
select all of the faces connected to the eight corner vertices (or, more accurately to blender, select the verts connects to the corner verts, so that the faces are selected).
you should now have twelve faces selected.
assign these faces the white material.
hit the sub-surf button, 1 level is probably enough, but hit 2 if that special feeling takes ya’.
convert to meshes (ALT+C).
move the original to a separate layer (M).
on the new mesh, select the black faces using the material index controls and delete them.
press . to active scaling around cursor.
now connect all of these corners together.
if you got this far, you should be able to figure out how to do this last stage, but if you can’t, here are some words and phrases that i would have used if i’d been bother to explain it:
snap cursor to selection (SHIFT+S)
scale towards cursor on specific axis (S then MMB after moving cursor along intended axis)
select all
remove doubles

it really isn’t that hard once you have your eight corners.
also, you can use the shrink/fatten command (CTRL+ALT+S) to alter the bevel amount very accurately.
of course, making something like this would be a piece of cake in wings, or any other proper 3D modelling software for that matter. we blenderheads just love all that jolly hoop jumping, don’t we?
anyway…

BEAT

(Detritus) #8

Ok, ok, but can we at least agree on that [email protected] tutorial sucked more than mine? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: But honestly, I would really like to see that dice made with the subsurfs… I imagine that the bevels would be hard to make while maintaing a straight plane?

(theeth) #9

Not necesarely. Just extrude each face of the cube and scale down just a little. Then, the subsurf will mostly affect the corners.

Martin

(Timothy) #10

Honestly Bart probably created his tutorial as a beginners tutorial. So that even people very new to Blender could still make a cool object like a dice. So yes your mether may be more effecient face / vertice wise, but barts is more aimed towards teaching newbies Blender.

(theeth) #11

also, as far as I know, Bart’s tut was made in the Smesh era (ah ah, I bet half of you don’t remember those) and the only way to get nice smooth meshes was to have more polies.

Martin

(Detritus) #12

OK. I wasn´t serious though, Barts tutorials is very good, thogh some of them may be improved a bit. No offence!

(ec2) #13

Detritus

I’m very interested in your method of making rounded corners using the spin function, I just can’t seem to duplicate what you explained. Could you provide more detail or screenshots?