Bevel - Profile Values

@blendDoodler

Are you just trolling now because you realized what you said was rubbish? They all can offer this function via the Mono or BiRail command. In Blender you use Bevel object input. And with polygons it would be great to have this in the bevel command because it would provide a Railing tool workflow.

Not to hijack this thread but any idea if a rounding type like this would be possible for corners?

@ Howard

sorry was talking about the spikes like in post #11!

happy bl

@cekuhnen #22: Sure, that’s possible. I’ll add it to the TODO list.

@RickeyBlender #23: Thanks for clarifying. That’s on the bug backlog; not sure when I’ll get to it. Working on a couple of other tricky ones right now.

ah, I would explain in more detail if I had used my native language :slight_smile:
Of course it is can be implemented (if you want) for modeling
why I suggested it in modifier?
To quickly create a procedural HardSurface

1. you can quickly change the value of Bevel, or completely remove it
  2. Only Bevel is not always enough, sometimes it needs additional loop.

Of course, it is not always possible to use this new modifier. But in some cases it helps to save time and energy when you modeling.

I don’t have a problem to “kill” if it saves our future :slight_smile:
In other words - you are not continue in writing a 500 page’s book on stone desk if someone offer you computer, right?
It make sense if you think it make things better. For me it would be step forward :slight_smile:

Iit’s not a first time I had to stop to work, open new doc and experiment with default cube to see how each slider affects result.
I see it’s not as easy for you, so just to think about it.

Superelljpse – Thank you for note. I can’t say what’s the best way to calculate profile from, but is it at all possible with superelljpse create convex/concave radius with the same shape? From screen it looks differently.

@so3Datel #25: I see, thanks. I will keep something like this in mind for future enhancements.

@vklidu #26: I agree that sometimes the right thing to do is break with the past and either let past things and tutorials break or put in code to be backwards compatible when old models are loaded. Blender has a mechanism to do the backward compatibility thing, but it comes at the cost of littering the codebase with the detritus of past behaviors, so one has to ask whether the change is worth that cost. In my opinion this particular change is not worth the cost but I am willing to hear from other users that I am wrong here. I don’t think this reaches the level of the difference between a stone desk and a computer. :slight_smile:

Your point about the superellipse having different shapes when concave than when convex is true, though qualitatively there is not a huge difference in what one can achieve by varying the parameter. You are the first person to have commented on this to me, so again I’d like to hear from other users if this is a problem. Of course, it can also be addressed by having either fully custom curves for profiles or having a toolbox of other profiles, as discussed earlier in this thread.

Would it be possible to have different edge weight selection for multiple bevel commands on the same object?

The weight option perfectly works with edges.
The vertex selection on only vertices and the edges between them - you need often to add extra subdivs to split edges then.

I’m not completely clear on what you are asking for here. Right now there is only one data field for edge weight on an edge, so if you want to do a bevel paying attention to weights, that’s what gets used. Are you asking for multiple labeled weight sets and the ability to choose which one to use for any particular bevel operation?

can someone tell me if it is possible to do a sort of bevel like this one here?
this is more like a 2d filet

thanks for feedback
happy bl

Sorry for that simile, i didn’t know how to describe shortly.

From reactions here it seems like I’m the only one :slight_smile: here …
I understood you, you need a feedback not only from one user.

From your answer I didn’t understand if with superelipse calculation model it is possible to walk from positive to negative values and get a flat on zero either.

My goal wasn’t be mathematically precise as blendDoodler couldn’t “understand”, but goal was to have more logical values from user side to easier setup modifier, or if bevel result looks strange you can quickly say it’s not profile’s setup fault.

Sometimes I have a feeling, blender development is hurrying up and has no time to stop for some time and breath in harmony, take time to fix these small things that make confusions or small dis functions (like multi-drag in dimension properties that is from user view elementary function, or like particle system modifier that has no linked name with particles name in physics so you don’t have a clue what tab is what particle system, …). I know some of them are not easy to fix, but this small things appears as a big problem when you search for your setup problem. Usually it is some triviality, but before you discover it you are lost in many variations and possible combinations, that can be killing to solve. That is why I would like to see most logical and most simple GUI as possible.

i don’t want do a drama with it. I just thought, maybe easy to do … but I see discussion here got different direction … :slight_smile: thanks for your work

Glad to hear you’re thinking about bevel/extrude profiles, Howard!

Here’s a Maya plugin modifier that does it, maybe it’s interesting to you (perhaps it can also help to see how/if it handles edge cases?)

It’s all a matter of what order you bevel the edges in.

Do the simple bevel first, and then do the rounded bevel on the neighboring edges.

Coming from a Lightwave background, where Bevel++ and VertiBevel provided bevel profile functionality with stored libraries of them, I can only add my voice to how useful this ability is. Indeed, it is only one of a few modelling functions I truly miss in Blender. For thing like panel detailing, it really speeds the workflow.

@ Ace dragon
can you elaborate

I tried a few ways but still don’t get the right shape with bevel
hope there is a way to do it with bevel

on right done manually and gets a nice circular shape

on left done with bevel and verts group but shape is not really circular
more elongated ellipse!

thanks
happy bl

Off the topic of profiles, I’m wondering if it’d be possible to make an ‘Even’ option for Bevel, like the one we have for edge slide? It’d be super useful for quick creation of support loops.

(a cut through the middle, beveled, vs. two loopcuts with ‘Even’ ticked on)

did u try to select line then simply Ctrl-B
it add a new line parallel to the other one!

but not really constant width

happy bl

Ricky, that’s exactly what I’m asking: if it’s possible to make the “really constant width” for Bevel, which is indeed Ctrl+B. :wink:

I remember the Ctrl-R with E key
but not for bevel it would be nice to have option

may be I just did a test with percent
and seems to be constant width

happy bl