Bevel shader for EEVEE integration

Man u did a great job!

I did some more testing and found out what using 0.3 0.3 1 instead of pure 0.5 0.5 1 for object normal node gives even more convincing results by getting rid of excessive darkening from intersections:

0.4 0.4 1 works better with darker hdris:

And very bright hdris need something like 0.2 0.2 1, but that leads to over brightening of crevices with dark hdris so it’s kinda magic number:

Dark ambient lighting = tendency towards 0.4, bright ambient lighting = tendency towards 0.2 basically.

10 Likes

But Bevel Node is cycles only/! I thought this thread was about getting it working in Eevee?

EDIT
ow wait now i see what your doing, its sort of a switch. When cycles i used it uses bevel, for eevee it switches to the other one.

I tried opening that blend file, but it returns a warning about wrong file format?!

Still works in 3.5.0 for me:

Maybe download was unfinished or you using very old blender?

4 Likes

Blender 2.8 branch really broke backwards compatibility. Sometimes i can still open them in older blender version, but i would need to change some items. Now i get this warning.

At work i have old mac osx 10.11.6 and thus blender is at 2.83
Ill try my setup at home

PS- the custom build of Blender, GooEngine, has a Curvature shader for Eevee that works like Bevel out of the box

DillonGoo’s curvature is just that: curvature, which is not the same as bevel. You can use it to highlight edges, but it doesn’t change your normals, which Cycles’ bevel shader does.

1 Like

Because it is correctly picking up highlights from the correct light direction and occlusion + shadows are now more congruent than the previous model which was only a “spread” value around crevices.

I am answering this old post as I was wondering: since EEVEE Next is going to be a deferred renderer, will things like this eventually be possible? If so, exciting!