Bezier curves & getting things to go along them

Hello,

Using B@rt’s tutorial on how to make the train tracks as a jumping off point, I came up with this really great idea for a retro style chair. (Yeah, basic I know, but it was something to occupy my time with). The problem I’m having is with the legs. My thinking was that I could create a bezier curve along the path that I wanted for my chair’s legs, then use the BevOb button to tie the actual material of the legs to 'em. Didn’t quite work out that way… Any assistance you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.domain51.com/untitled2.blend

Travis - Domain51

then use the BevOb button to tie the actual material of the legs to 'em. Didn’t quite work out that way…

The center of your curves is everywhere over the place. Select your curves and click “center new” in the edit buttons (F9) especially for the profile. This will fix your model.
BTW, I can’t see what relation the BevOb button has to the material : maybe you could teach me something at your turn ? :slight_smile:

Ahh, so that’s the easy way to recenter… Thanks for the info. However, that doesn’t help my situation… The new file is at: http://www.domain51.com/untitled3.blend

As for your question on how BevOb works with what I’m trying to do, I can only give you theory. In theory, what I’m trying to do is take that small circle and make it extend along the curve. For this particular model, the end result would be the legs for my chair. I’ve seen it used for train tracks (B@rt’s tutorial), and someone in this forum posted a question about their use for a roller coaster rail.

Like I said, it’s all just theory at this point though, because I can’t figure out what I’ve done to screw up such a simple concept… I’ll be kicking myself when someone points it out to me or I figure it out on my own. Of course, I am pretty new to Blender (only a few weeks of playing with it), so I’m not going to feel too bad if it’s something stupid.

As a side note, I’ve tried converting it (via Edit Buttons > Convert) to a Nurb. It gets it a bit closer, but it’s still not like it should be.

Travis

However, that doesn’t help my situation…

My mistake. Once you’ve made new centers for your curves you must undo the bad result by removing the name of the profile (the small circle in your case) from the BevOb button of the path and put it right back.

Am I already getting to the point where I forget those details so necessary to the beginners ? Euh… Yeah ? Strange feeling.

In theory, what I’m trying to do is take that small circle and make it extend along the curve.

Ok, it was your usage of the word “material” that confused me : in Blender, and CG in general as well, the word refers to something you wrap around your objects to make them look like you want ; it never refers to the matter that’s used to build things. CG is a world of illusions and one really has to learn to think opposite to what one’s own experience with reality theaches, in many instances at least. That’s something I disliked at first but I got used to it.

I’ll be kicking myself when someone points it out to me or I figure it out on my own.

Don’t you ever. Nothing is as obvious as it seems that it should be in CG. Some methods are a bit closer to the real world, but only marginaly. Puzzlement is the rule when beginning, at least for the first few months. Stick to it and stick to Blender : after a few month of it, it took me 4 day to grasp enough of Rhino, for example, to do useful work. A former visit to that software, prior to my initiation through Blender, had left me with very little hope.

As a side note, I’ve tried converting it (via Edit Buttons > Convert) to a Nurb.

The conversion always is imprecise. You’ll learn to start with the right curve from the beginning. A nurbs of degree 5 is prefered for an animation path for example.

Finally, in your project, you may want to jack up the value on the DefResolU button to get rid of the kinks in the legs shape.

Well, it was a long one to write in that small window, but you bring up some interesting point.