I’m playing around with BGE and I’ve set up a couple of gears, one with a fixed angular velocity, the other intended to freely spin. both are constrained to static axles with rigid body joint modifiers, and both have convex hull collision detection enabled (margins set to zero). Even though they only rotate (and on the same axis), I find I cannot constrain translation, or the collision detection fails. However, when I leave it unchecked, the gears begin spinning very quickly (it seems as though they’re speeding each other up).
I solved that by setting the mass of the driving gear very high, however, the free spinning gear now “jumps” off it’s axle a bit when the engine starts and the gears sort of lock up.
Anyway, I imagine I’m trying to simulate something with tolerances that are just too tight for BGE’s collision detection to handle. Still, I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what I might be able to do to work past that.
I’m using Blender 2.70, BTW.