BGE DEV (APRICOT): Could this be a step towards game level mods(GameLogic.globalDict)

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2008-August/015394.html

Added GameLogic.globalDict, this is a place where data can be stored even when new blend files are loaded. Using for apricot so frankie can go into levels in new blendfiles keeping his inventory, currently it dosnt work for the blenderplayer which stops python before loading new blend files.

Theoretically this could be used as a simple way of making game expansions consisting of new levels at least, if so then games can now be expanded with new .blends containing levels.:cool:

yes!! I could have used this a lot last year!

agreed, this is going to be really useful for larger games…
a lot easier than saving everything to a file and then re-reading when you load the next level.

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2008-August/015427.html

Now you can return a list of .blends in the current directory, for things like level select.

oh fantastic! well spotted

wow that is really cool.

What they need is a way to save stuff under a different file extension type, so people cant just open the .blend and seal your stuff.

well you have the bpplayer

What is the bpplayer anyway?

What is the bpplayer anyway?
BPPlayer

Game Protection - this feature protects games that are created with the Blender Game Engine. It provides heavy protection but still is efficient and clean at running games.
Quoted from the thread.

Wow, thanks! this really helps my paranoia :D!

Your file size made my Dial-up cry…

Your file size made my Dial-up cry…

Then I suggest that you wait before you download it. The 1.0.0 build is old and it has a few bugs. I’ll upload the new 1.0.1 build in a few days (Sunday, maybe).

Game Protection - this feature protects games that are created with the Blender Game Engine.
Protects them from what? I have yet to see anything in the WIP/Resources forum that would be worth “stealing”, even if the only effort required to do so was a mere double click.

Even if you had something “extraordinary” on your hands, you’ll still gain recognition regardless of the fact that people can dissect it. I mean your original posts act as timestamps of sorts, nobody can repost and claim the idea to be theirs.

I for one think that the open nature of BGE design is a blessing, not a curse. Everyone can see how things are done, and anyone can use created resources to try out new ideas quickly, without having to rummage through some overly elaborate protection system in order to do so.

It all goes to further enforce the sense of community and sharing.

Quote:
Game Protection - this feature protects games that are created with the Blender Game Engine.
Protects them from what? I have yet to see anything in the WIP/Resources forum that would be worth “stealing”, even if the only effort required to do so was a mere double click.
Perhaps that is true, but people also have the right to say if they want to release the source or not. It’s not really any better when your forced to release the source code.

Even if you had something “extraordinary” on your hands, you’ll still gain recognition regardless of the fact that people can dissect it. I mean your original posts act as timestamps of sorts, nobody can repost and claim the idea to be theirs.

I for one think that the open nature of BGE design is a blessing, not a curse. Everyone can see how things are done, and anyone can use created resources to try out new ideas quickly, without having to rummage through some overly elaborate protection system in order to do so.

It all goes to further enforce the sense of community and sharing.
I have to agree with you there. But there are situations where protecting your work could have it’s benefits. “Serous” online games are one example. One persons actions can destroy the experience for other people online. Gaming completions might also see this as a benefit. It might also inspire more people to come to blender, and it may promote more/better projects. And with people like (cough) Bush (cough), who knows how long copyrights will last… =P

On top of all that, like you said, Open Source is a blessing. Sense blender is open source, it allows a wide range of possibilities. So why not take best of both worlds and combine them together? That seems to make more sense.

Back on topic, I was wondering how this new feature is different from the current linking feature? If I understand it correctly, you can only link content from linked files at the start of the game. However, with this new feature, (correct me if I’m wrong) we can get any kind of data, at any time during the game. Right? or did I overlook something?

This expand the capability of bge a lot because you can have people making levels and sharing everything without the limitation of doing it all inside of bge. think about little big planet http://www.littlebigplanet.com/ the hole concept of the game its making your levels and sharing, making that kind of levels during the game with bge its impossible (with the tools we have right now) but using blender as a level editor its much powerful that you can imagine
I’m not taking of making the level out of 0 because you would be stuck only with blender users and only experience user would make great levels. But think about having thing pre made something like little big planet , why not having a tool that when you draw you create a leader or add stickers over thing. this would be a great mode to introduce people to blender.
OK i’m not saying this its easy, but I’m shore its possible, so its a great expansion to bge :yes:

If anything it would be this http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133471

I don’t really care about letting most of you guys dissect my stuff, I’m just afraid a guest user or someone will take it, say it was their own, then If our paths ever crossed I would be blamed for stealing… This is the reason for my paranoia.
I’m just not a very trusting person.

Would this just pretty much replace the writing of data to some external file and re-reading the data from that file if another blend is to be loaded, and still uses the same types of global variables like health, score, etc?

Hehe, was really hoping from the title that it was hinting at something else :p.