BGE Engine Crashes

I’m making an architectural walkthrough demo of my new fencing salle. It’s partially completed. It has 190 objects. Whenever I press P, it crashes.
I’m running WinXP SP2, 2 gb of RAM, 2.79GHz.
Terminal output:

Detected GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
Detected GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
Enabled GL_ARB_multitexture
Enabled GL_ARB_shader_objects
Enabled GL_ARB_vertex_shader
Detected GL_ARB_fragment_shader
Enabled GL_ARB_vertex_program
Detected GL_ARB_depth_texture
Detected GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
GL_VERSION: 2.0 (2.0.5536 WinXP Release)

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I’d attach a .blend file but I can’t find the “attach” button in this subforum. wtf?

You’re probably overloading the engine. how many faces, and how many objects are dynamic?

28561 faces, and all the objects are static.

that could overload the engine.

usually max it out at 15000 tris

Ha, BGE means “blender game engine”, so you said: “Blender game engine engine crashes”.

It just sounds funny.

Anyways, that’s a normal console output. Nothing wrong there.

And, that is a lot of faces. You should have a much lower poly count. Can we see a screenshot?

Here’s the .blend file:

I’ve made some changes, now it works
You must optimize your scene
Probably too many objects
Select all objects and join them
Then do REM DOUBLES, you’ll gain at least 6000? vertices
If needed you can separate some objects
Get rid of the Text and Curve objects, not supported by the game engine
You forget to pack the textures
Try now
Good luck

I joined did rem doubles on all the objects, it removed around 30 vertices, then I joined all them (not the best order, I know). Now all the materials are messed up. I also removed all the text/curves. And it still crashes. Can you post the .blend file you got to work?
Here’s the .blend file after my latest butchery:
Thanks for your patience, I’m new at this.

1 Like

Well I’ll try…

What can I say???
All’s bad in your file
Why Game engine beginners don’t start with a cube or two???
Too many poly’s of course, not the number itself, but the result
You can/must have the same scene with more or less 500!!!
And the textures SIZE!!!
Please, you must use 1024x1024 or 1024x512 and so on ( power of 64) but 512x512 it’s already a BIG texture, most of the times 256x256 is quite enough
There’s no way to save this file, sorry

Too many poly’s of course, not the number itself, but the result
You can/must have the same scene with more or less 500!!!

I don’t understand what you’re saying. I know I need to reduce poly count. Can I make it work if I do that?

if you reduce the poly count to about 15000, make all textures powers or 64 (512 by 512 or less), then your game might run, even though you don’t have any dynamic objects yet.

You must redo your scene!!!
Use the old one as a guide, and PATIENTLY build your level with simple
shapes, mostly cubes.
Use mostly 256x256 JPG textures and maybe some 512x512 when you
need to add detail
AND, you must assign the textures to the objects with the UV EDITOR
And read some docs maybe

Well, there were several dozen problems with it, mainly doubles and parenting issues. I’ve fixed the whole thing and it seems to work now. You’ll have to reparent a few of the objects to the main mesh though. Remember, after finishing an object always follow the following sequence. -Tab- into edit mode, -a- to select all, -w- to open specials, -6- to remove all doubles. Oh, and I moved some of the lights and the camera to the 20th layer if you’re wondering where they’ve gone.

Edit: Found another problem with layer two, it seems it didn’t like the top left ‘Pillar’ object intersecting with the text, I’ve moved the whole second layer objects to compensate. I’ve also updated the file.

Wrong post