BGE is dead. And the slow death of blender

okay I will download when it is already compiled and it gets more features developed.I like hardware skinning.

• BGE removed in 2.8?

• Yes, but there is 2.79!

• But there are Hi End engines that are better than BGE!

• yes there is, but for me it does not matter.

• It is necessary to listen to the opinion of professionals

• yes, but before that show me the level games (and even higher) Doom 3® (with much better graphics), Half Life 2 ®, like and Mirror’s Edge®!

• such examples, alas, no. They are few and have lost relevance to the 3d graphics.

• There are no examples - there is no discussion. Better graphics, but many of the audience is not against even the continuation of Half Life 2® and even on the old engine.

• Stop the vortex of your thoughts.

I came here from the island of Jah Jah, and I want to ask:

• Is it possible to create a game at the level of Portal 1, 2 ® in BGE?
  • No, because somebody just does not want to.

The most terrible question is the following:

• And who fully realized the possibilities of shader technologies in BGE?

:eyebrowlift:

- Justin do it:
- cry me a river, cry me, cry me… cry me a river, cry me, cry me…

:frowning:

Not everything is as bad as it seems at first glance :RocknRoll:. U & U, FU!

1 Like

Jeebus, why is everyone talking against BGE instead of defending it?

1 Like

So I have read and ignored this argument more often in recent times. Now, however, I would like to point out that you can only argue as a hobbyist. No one, not even a self-employed (in the gradation to a company with many developers or service providers) will be able to offer or perform a course based on a software that is no longer supported. If the client does not notice that the provider of a service or a software solution/Sumulation is using a program that is no longer supported, it will be noted by the students and the provider for backward or outdated. So who in the future as a professional still relies on blender 2.79 and offers a project, runs very quickly into the danger itself to be regarded as backward and outdated. If you cannot offer anything in VR and realtime in the future, Sowiso will not receive any orders or jobs. Well then have fun with blender 2.79. Apart from the fact that the bugs in the program can be eliminated by yourself. What a naïve argument.

That’s it. Yes, exactly.

I think it’s “In” to deceive themselves and to flatter the five blender developers. The BGE was the only part of the code that could show a future for Blender. I am convinced that VR is the future. And Blender has nothing to offer. Above all, Blender has no more to offer for realtime applications.

1 Like

I won’t give up BGE for any price. And if I was a professional developer, I’ll still be using it regardless of consequences.

1 Like

I’m looking for it. That’s what I’m looking for. Who would be involved in putting Blender’s BGE on a completely new concept, making the BGE future-proof and developing a perspective for Realtime VR.

The possibilities are very good. Those who have been at the Hannover Trade fair in the last few days have been able to clearly see that the merger of VR and industry is progressing massively. If we manage to find a nucleus of prospects for this path, we would have a chance.

What only a few have seen so far is that the “banana” concept of the software industry is no longer working properly (“deliver green bananas to the customer, who can then ripen with him”).

So, if you are interested in BGE and want to take a groundbreaking path, you can send me an e-mail. Let’s see if we can bring some people together.
My e-mail: [email protected]

An overview of alternative Game Engines… !!!
Blender BGE is not the univers.

Cheers

Do they use python?

are they more developed than bge?

is the source open.

the closest competition to blender is godot,
which has a new render but is missing much of the functionality of bge.

armoury one day may be nice, but I have been told it’s painfully slow.

panda3d does not have 1/2 the abilities bge has.

your giving people dumb advice.

ue4 is like driving a really fast tank that can’t turn.

unity is like having only stuff other people wrote and you have to pay for it.

blender game engine is still here,
bf deleting their sources for 2.8 changes jack shit.

2 Likes

Please click on the link! The list is an good overview of know solutions. The list contains also short infos about license, costs, supported languages, etc. Use an page-translater (eg. google S3 translator) for tranlating into your personal language.

I like: Irrlicht, Gamestudio, Unreal Engine, Unity, for private use (is not so confuse an overbearing like BF with BGE = See interview with Ton:“I don’t care about money.”). For high professional projects we are using depending of a project Unigine(Video1, Video2, in this field we had worked last year. try it: Industry).

Based on that (try this video), I have try to realize the Solar System with BGE (total development time from scratch three month. was not funny). So, I think I can compare things from a small developer’s point of view.

This quality is what we need for Realtime Development. (This is not a picture, this is a complete simulation, based on this whats going on in this market).

BF (Blender Foundation) has overslept it and has now abolished the future for itself.

Peter

Wowdy! Thanks, mate. It’s a relief to realize that I’m not alone.

As a matter of fact I’m having one BGE project in works atm. An unpaid, non-commercial project though. A Crash Bandicoot fangame.

I’m seeking for co-programmers, so if you’re interested to help, see this thread for further info:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?442860-Crash-Bandicoot-fangame-(HELP-WANTED

I might ask this again via email too.

First, I don’t want to upset or hurt any one, I’m just curious, that’s all. For me the most important thing about any software is if there’s a strong organization behind it or not. Only then can I assume that the software might have a future. It’s been clear for very long years that the Blender Foundation is not interested in further developing the Blender Game Engine. So I wonder, why cling on to it, if there are many alternatives with the promise of a bright future. Even if you currently feel more convenient with BGE and its feature set, BGE lacks the most important feature: Active Development By A Strong Organization. Some group of people pick up the engine, develop it for a while, then they disappear. Then another group of people pick up the engine… Is it a solid enough foundation to base a career upon?
Again, I don’t want to offend any one. I would only like to understand.

Exactly my position!!!
Yes, well, that’s my reasoning and that of the others. BF has been driving the cart in the mud for years. Only these guys have to carry the suitcase. Therefore, my very simple argument is that you can now take advantage of the opportunity. Because the BGE is old, but has an enormous community and an enormous know-how. Why just throw it away. There are certainly thousands who would still like to work with the BGE.

In my view, two important things would have to be done: 1) renovation of the open source concept. Just as it is practised today by BF, it will not work much longer. Here you can set up a completely new and lucrative concept for a BGE-further development. 2) A clear orientation of the BGE in the development of time, the VR. Who in the last days was at the Hanover Exhibition (with the integrated C-bit) will not only understand my argument, but better understand the deep crisis of the BF. I believe that the guys from BF have not yet realized that they have shot themselves out of the game with the current action of the BGE (delete)!!

Peter

1 Like

When I read about the Code Quest, I was shocked that the BF had to ask for donations for the simple reason that the developers could closely work together in the same building for 3-4 months. For me, this just shows how small and scattered they are, I did not know that. It’s amazing that they could create such a feature packed yet rock stable piece of software as Blender. But how could a small organization like BF successfully develop two products at the same time? And now you mention they should go for not only a game engine but one with VR support? How could they do everything? It seems to me logical that they focus their small resources on one thing. There’s no significant open source alternatives to Blender, but there are many alternatives to BGE, and if they divided their attention, I fear Blender might suffer.

Because it’s trash compared to the alternatives. Seriously.

For some reason, there’s a tiny but ridiculously devoted group of people worshipping the BGE, but if you look at it realistically, even at its peak it never was a good game engine and that peak was like 10 years ago. Nobody wants to seriously (!) develop new stuff for it, nobody wants to seriously maintain it.

The sheer amount of work that it would take to improve it from abyssimal to just subpar is so high that you would be better off throwing everything away and starting from scratch.

And I’m not even talking about Unity and Unreal here, there are multiple vastly superior open-source engines out there.

At some point, you have to decide what is worth maintaining, because just not breaking it in every new release takes up a significant amount of work for literally no reason. I mean, just keep using an older version of Blender, it’s not like anything changed in the BGE anyways.

Sorry for the rant, but this “hurr durr Blender is dead because they gave up their shiny tech” is bullshit. The BGE deserved to die.

6 Likes

And I’m not even talking about Unity and Unreal here, there are multiple vastly superior open-source engines out there.

• name one

And bge was refactored a bit, but has old cuft to cut.

Did you know that there is more to a engine than raw performance?

And as far as performance goes we have many optimizations in UPBGE/Ketsji

Blender animation system is slow - but if you bake your IK to FK it’s faster, if you make your animation 1 long strip, it’s faster

• if you use multiple instances of the same armature and scale / replace skin mesh / them, for actors - you can have more actors for less cost.

if you want to have 10,000 vertex just in a armature actors face - use lord loki’s hardware armature skinning patch

(honestly though a uniform from obj color could drive a wrinkle map and get the same detail likely)

Be honest and specific what is missing we can’t add?

if we have PBR material and use it for a atlas - all objects in a scene can batch that are static and we have pbr (it’s in 2.79 sources and will be in ketsji soon…)

Multi-processing module for py does not work well with BLENDER not juse bge.

Just saying ‘it sucks’ makes you look like a fool.

any bottleneck we hit you can add C_extensions for

GLSL we can bump up but we don’t want to lose 50% of our users
(we care about our users even if they are poor)

So if I search for ‘BGE’ and ‘VR’ using google or youtube I’ll find nothing is what you’re saying?

• what sharpened and professional brain breaking.
    Some successful games (I will not mention - no headaches are needed), they were voiced - performed on the old version of the Unreal Engine ®, but slightly modified … but who will check whether it is modified? (if we write - the old version, it’s not cool. add - improved.)
    errors in BGE - and you personally know them? A lot of? - At the moment, if they do not consciously make errors, BGE is stable.
    I know that the interests of the corporation and the country are above all. And when it comes to personal ambitions, there is insanity, corporate.

I suggest from now on ,everybody who is against BGE to talk with example games, they have made in another engine. :slight_smile:
Tech demos and multi-million projects not made by you does not count :smiley:

It seems people are vastly manipulated by new trends, fashion and advertisement. Everybody is talking what can be done with several millions and 50 people on Unity/Unreal not even realizing it.

2 Likes

I will be very surprised if i will see any made game by these whiners. All they know is how to download stuff from Unity/UE store.

1 Like