BGE is dead. And the slow death of blender

I don’t know what Autodesk does with its scanline. Who does? They might even have rewrited it many times in the years.
About renderfarms, it’s up to them: they can support internal rendering, 2.79a will be working for years

Blender community regular rewrite all language translations, documentation and tutorials every 5-7 years, because Blender is unstable software for education… this i s very bad…

@BluePrintRandom: grats to you for having Loki around, and Panzer to some extent…I’m not sure how much time he has to devote to UPBGE at this point…or what his status is…

@ Dantus: I think this is wrong…“interactive mode” The longer you wait to implement something the harder it is to get it to play well with everything else…and if interactive more is going to be as broad as is being hinted at then…they should have started it along with Eevee.,I think most developers would say the same…otherwise there is a lot of code backpedaling and refactoring to consider…if it is not part of the initial design…it is more difficult to implement…

2 Likes

Do you know of anyone that uses it though (virtually every single rendered image using an Autodesk app. is done with Arnold, Vray, Octane, Redshift, Corona, ect…)?

Autodesk probably has the scanline engine remaining for the same reason it keeps a lot of other old features, which is for supporting the very small fraction of clients who are very slow to upgrade or move on from legacy systems and techniques. There are companies that still use PC software from the 1990’s, but it doesn’t mean it is a good choice for modern businesses or hobbies in 2018.

Besides that, Eevee has now become what BI wished it could be (in everything from lighting to NPR). I know of your node-based GI trick, but it’s more of a limited hack when taking into account how blurry reflections/refractions can only be done on the first bounce.

No, this support many bounces ( depth mirror reflections). I use procedural noise for this (true random). Try it yourself…this is new version of GI node…

I would personally like to know what your texture-based GI hack could do that a physically-based renderer like Cycles could not. Even if it could provide passable lighting in cases, there’s still the issue of BI being a legacy render engine, most importantly the legacy shading models that aren’t energy-conserving and will fall apart in certain lighting conditions (even though they looked nice in other cases). That doesn’t even get to where the combination of GI and legacy shading models can make your scene look like something out of a game engine from 10 years back (a look which Sintel was widely criticized for).

You don’t understand basic concept. Nose in my GI node is imitation of bump micro surfaces, like in real world…
… Cycles only Raytracer… Internal - Scanline+Raytracer
internal have spotligts with stencil shadows, and might produce GI from this Lamps… Cycles - not

Have you tried Cycles?

Just asking, the engine is far better than it was in 2.6x.

2 Likes

Cycles is not finished too in many ways. He does not know how to bake into the vertex colors. He does not have such a sky system as in Internal. It does not support voxels like Interanal, etc.
And BGE supports many functions from Intrenal material nodes… but BGE, not support Cycles material nodes…

@Old_Demon It’s hard for me to believe that you are serious. Really. Just look at render galleries that are around now, and the ones from pre-2011. It’s apples and oranges. And the node-hack for BI has great limitations, as @Ace_Dragon pointed. And even besides that, is terribly slow anyway.

My experience is different. Even if something is planned to be used in different ways, it is often easier to start with one case and continue with the other one once the first one works. Of course, you have to consider the second one to not make the work unnecessarily difficult.

All you guys who waste time with these children… And given answers to people who do not understand … do not feed the Trolls.

etc…

1 Like

At risk of feeding the troll more… You do realise what section of the forums you’re in right…? I really think you’re wasting your breath on us BGE users.

If you do not use BGE and Internal, this does not mean that other community people do not use them. Cycles - is wery good renderer for dummies. But I had nothing against him until removed BGE and Internal. Although i’m swore several years ago, that Internal does not develop.

Whether the BGE and Blender Internal were used is pretty irrelevant. It was well known that neither of them were further developed. Everyone who used one of them did it at their own risk. For Blender Internal, it was clear that it would be removed at one point, while for the game engine there was a chance that it could more or less smoothly become the interactive mode. It simply made sense to remove them for 2.8.

I thought that guy was banned??? and how did this get turned into a non RT renderer debate :smile:

Yeah. The slow rendered BI stuff is impressive but the discussion is about the existing GE and RT graphic.

BTW: which ones are the Trolls and which ones are the good guys?

BGE uses materials and nodes from Internal, without raytracing, SSS and procedural textures. These engines are interconnected. Cycles can be disabled if use BGE. It is not needed. Normal, Lightmaps and other textures perfectly bake Internal

I believe that community need to develop separately the blender 2.79+ project with BGE and internal, without Cycles. If you throw Cycles, there will be space. I hope there is a new team of craftsmen. And those who like Cycles, let them enjoy 2.8 from Ton…

1 Like