BGE on Windows 10!!!!

I hear that windows 10 will be cross-platform. This means that the exact same version of Windows 10 is going to run on pc’s, phones, tablets, etc. So i’m guessing this means you can run a .exe on all Windows 10 devices without having to port it. My question is, will I finally be able to run my blender games on a smartphone? If so, this would be AMAZING!!! What do you guys think?

If its true, maybe should have some nice titles to play on them.

I think using blender\bge together for some sort of ubber game would be intresting.

like generating textures and models and even code in a open copy of blender…

has anyone tested to see if bge games run on the surface pro (which runs windows 8)? If so, i then im pretty sure that they will improve this with windows 10. I also heard that windows 10 will be on the new xbox! Does this mean that you can run blender games on xbox? This would be the single most important thing to ever happen in software!!!

As far as I recall, the BGE runs on Windows 8, but I’m unsure if it runs notably differently objectively due to Windows 8, or if it’s poorer or better because of other factors. I’m assuming you mean that Windows 10 will be on the next Xbox (Xbox One 2, haha)?

It will run on windows on an intel architecture, but not arm. So It will run on your surface pro, but not your surface rt, phone etc. The operating system has less impact than underlying architecture. Nothing can change that.

I mean the current xbox (xbox one 1 lol). Microsoft said that windows 10 will run on it. I would love to know if bge games run on the surface pro (which run windows 8). Im just saying…if bge runs on windows 10, and windows 10 runs on all kinds of devices, then that must mean that bge games run on all kinds of devices! That would be amazing!!! Us bge devs will finally be able to make cell phone games and maybe even be able to make games for xbox one!!! Hell Yea!!!

See above post. OS is not the important thing here.

ok, microsoft says windows 10 will run on all devices…none of that rt bs. Then more than likely we will be making games for phones using bge!!! Microsoft == AMAZING!

Nobody said it is a feature complete Windows. Somehow I have doubts anyone want install a 4GB OS on a phone.
Keep in mind you still need the according OpenGL drivers.

Even if it looks like the “amazing new” at the first sight … I suggest to be a bit more critical on such statements. It is just advertisement.

Nevertheless it is a step into a good direction (supporting more devices).

And the difference between pro and rt is … intel and arm. That won’t change.

Youre right…Im being too optimistic. I just want it to work so bad! Ive been trying to create android .apk with my python game I made with kivy…but I keep getting errors in the packaging process. It would be lovely if I could finally just make a game and stick it on a phone and run it…

Windows 10 isn’t exactly cross-platform; there are ported versions for different devices (ARM, x64/AMD64/x86-64, x86 etc.)
It is possible that this will make porting to other platforms from x86-64 much easier (for Windows devices, at least) in future.

You can run bge games on Android – though it is very limited – in a hack-ey method: you can install a virtual machine on the phone, run linux off that and run blender on the virtual linux machine… But this isn’t exactly the solution anyone wants.

Either way, getting bge to export to mobile is a long shot until the GPL is gone and a supposed new version of GameBlender is released. The further away from Python the bge goes, and the closer to Java, the easier it will be to port (seeing as most mobile OSs run off of Java doesn’t have an official or very optimized or well-documented Python interpreter).

I wonder if there is a actual “Computer language converter” out there?

something that can convert python to C++?

or python to java?

that would be nice.

Can someone build a compiled Java running bge? Would that even be fast enough?

Python is in C, at least, CPython is.

The main reason that C++ is faster than Python for the majority of tasks can be seen as follows:

Python code

value = 0
values = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]

for v in values:
    value += v

Functionally equivalent C++ code

int value = 0;
int values[8] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8};

for (int i=0; i < 8; ++i)
{
    value += values<i>;
}

Psuedo result of CPython interpreter

PyObject* value = ... (0);
PyObject* values = ... ([1, 2, ..., 8]);

check values supports iteration
get each value from values using iterator protocol
get the addition function for the value type
run the addition function on the other argument
get the result

There’s still more under the hood. But, the majority of the speed concerns with CPython are not intepreting bytecode, but rather the fact that Python is dynamically typed. There’s more to do when doing simple things like adding numbers.

See here for more info
https://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2014/05/09/why-python-is-slow/

The underlying message is that C++ isn’t solely faster by design, it’s faster by omission of functionality that Python provides. We all take this for granted, but pay the speed cost.

Python can run on the [I]Java VM, which isn’t running java, but any platform supporting Java then supports Jython.

you know? I have never seen an actual phone using the Windows system…

Yes, there are code converters. They aren’t very good seeing as the syntax has to be 100% correct according to the standards of the converter, plus with all of the differences in versions between each language, it’s incredibly hard too keep up with both. So basically, doing it manually would actually take less time.

Can someone build a compiled Java running bge? Would that even be fast enough?

Goran is working on a build at the moment which uses LibGDX instead of the bge.

All new Nokia phones run Windows Phone 8 – Windows 10 is supposedly going to be much better than the current versions (which are mocked for being quite awful).

Not to be rude, but you really should read up on the basics of computer languages, like the differences among Java, Python, C, C++, etc. It’s never a simple task to convert from one language to another. And many factors affect speed.

As for Windows, I wonder how long Windows will stay relevant. IMHO, Windows 8 is the peak. I think now that developers have more options and have gotten a taste for non-Windows-centric development, it’s not going to attract as many developers. On the other hand, Apple is building up their walled garden…

Similar to earlier posts, it’s not so much about the underlying OS - non-power users hardly care about it. What they mostly care about is whether they can run program X so that they can get stuff done. It’s like if I buy this laptop with this operating system (Mac, ChromeOS, Windows 8, Ubuntu, etc.), can I run my program?

I need to go to best buy and test to see if my bge game will run on the Microsoft surface pro 2/3. I hope that it means that microsoft is gearing its future devices to all be compatible with all future windows releases. I really do think microsoft is looking to make a universal system of functionality across all devices (the way it should be). This is just speculation.

No Blender games will not run on smartphone or Xbox One. I think you understood something wrong.

Only programs that are written with Visual Studio 2013 and build as “universal app” are able to run on Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 10 and later on Xbox One.
Also if a 3D should runn it on Windows Phone 8.1 and Xbox One you have to use DirectX. OpenGL is not Supported on Windows Phone 8.1 and Xbox One.
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/develop/building-universal-windows-apps

The surface pro runs a full version of windows 8 (or on my pro 2, the Windows 10 preview but that didn’t come installed, I put it there), on an intel processor (depending on the model, an i3, i5, or i7). They’re shaped like a tablet but they’re a fully-featured computer. If your game runs on that, it just means your game is compatible with intel architecture and a full version of Windows. It’s as much news as “my game runs on a laptop”. It might be the form factor of a tablet but they have laptop hardware inside, and laptop architecture runs the code.

The surface RT has a mobile processor and a mobile version of Windows, if your game runs on that then that would be more surprising.