BGE's power

I am not planning on making a game yet but i really wanted to know:

Can the blender game engine make games using really high quality like the renderer? I am just wondering because alot of some games some people make are good but not like top quality.
Ex: Can blender output games using AO, composite nodes, ect… To get that really high quality similiar to its renders?

I dont know why, many people think that the game engine is doing 99% of the work and they do the other 1%.
A good , “top noch” looking game is made by very…VERY talanted and gifted people. Artists, programmers, game designers, ect. and cost atleast 1-2 millions and the working progress is about 1-1.5 years. and do not forget marketing, couse marketing make a game “top noch”.
So the right questions you must ask is:
Am I very, very gifted profssional?!
if not: Do I have at least 1-2 millions dollars to hire some profssionals.?!
Am I ready to dedicate atleast 1-1.5 years to the making of the game.?!

I can write 10-20 more questions you must ask your self ,before asking about possibilities of one or another game engine.

P.S. Sorry if I’m being rude and for my english, but that is the way of making AAA games and becomming notable in the industry.

Q: Can the blender game engine make games using really high quality like the renderer?
A: Yes.
(Search the net ,there are some examples of this kind of quality.)

you can bake the AO.

For a developer with your high level of skill , you might be dissatisfied with the BGE, I suggest just sitting down one afternoon, and whip out a quick game engine, with all the features you need.

All us BGE developers do around here is “good”, yet not top quality games like you stated.

Oh ok thnx I was just wondering “what is blender capable of” (in the sense of gaming… because i have seen some that are good and some that are bad but was just wanting to know and thnx Mmph =3

Just look at haidme or MMPH’s games and demos. They’re some of the best blender games (in my opinion). Also, check out Monkey Game Project, a team project. Also, remember, blender is like a broken soda machine: you get out of it what you put into it…hey, that would make a good signature…

Then the effort involved is completely unnecessary. -> Just keep what you already have. :smiley:

The best possible graphics the BGE can do is if you used the “use Blender materials” option with GLSL, lightmapping, and 2D filters.

Look in the resources forum and here for lightmapping tips.

Then the effort involved is completely unnecessary. -> Just keep what you already have. :smiley:
Yes, but like a soda machine without any sodas, it would not simply give you your money back. You would get different change, because the coin return does not give you back the exact coins that you put in. So, if you put in 10 hours worth of hard work, then you get back your 10 hours worth in models/textures/logic.

A soda machine’s purpose is to deal out ice cold sodas in exchange for money - not just change in various denominations. Furthermore, a broken soda machine might not return the same amount of money originally “put in” - in fact, being broken, it’s not really guaranteed to return any money at all.

if you put in 10 hours worth of hard work, then you get back your 10 hours worth in models/textures/logic.
Yea, I know that’s what you were going for, but I just wanted to show that it’s not a very clever analogy.

…Or at least, not as clever as you seem to think it is.

You can make high quality games in the BGE, it just takes more time. You can make any game look visually stunning using the right textures etc. I highly suggest looking at the tutorials at http://www.poopinmymouth.com for good texturing tips that will make your game feel like a “high quality” game.

Wow… enough with the vague, philosophical answers already.

NO, the BGE cannot make games that look as good as renders. Renders are not real-time, and many of the high-end graphics effects and high-poly models used in a render literally take hours or days just to render out an image. The BGE is realtime, and like all realtime engines, it must output its images in fractions of a second.

However, you can make extremely nice looking games with the BGE. For example, this was made with the BGE (<-- follow link)

Download a demo of that game here:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111782

You can do even better than that if you’re skilled or have a skilled team, but that’s the best I’ve seen yet. (As I understand it, that game is the work of one person.)

BGE is capable of making some decent games but not AAA games ,
but consider that if you have the best engine and don’t have the way to use it cunningly for it to be usefull then it will be a waist of time , …

Good Luck .