BGMC 11 | GaiaForge

I absolutely love this game, excellent work! :yes:!

I’m taking my time to answer all of the feedback I got from social voting :slight_smile:

This is my favorite game of this BGMC. I can already see all the hours I will spend playing it. The graphics look good, sounds are fine and the gameplay is great !

Thank you, that means lot to me. I am happy about the hours I spent because I paid attention to be efficient and in a way GaiaForge was also a validation for the idea I had about myself being able to see what most benefits the project and gameplay experience in each phase.

The game contains both amazing graphics and style which also links nicely to the theme of the BGMC and the gameplay.

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m not sure if the graphics are that amazing compared to some other projects but what is important for me is that the graphics have unified look and level of detail. If I polish something I like the other parts match the same visual style and definition.

Very good looking stylisch graphic, great music fells like a real game. Nothing un-doneisch about it.

Thanks for the positive words :slight_smile:

I am happy about the music even though it’s not really what I had originally planned. When I couldn’t be on computer developing the game I spent some time on my keyboard figuring out ambient chord progression that I planned to record and implement possibly even programming some music changes so it’s sort of procedurally generated soundtrack. But I quite fast realized it was out of scope for this project. However I did want to and possibly even still will include a sound effect for placing the pieces so that the gameplay more responsive. Perhaps even the sound effect could point whether you placed the piece right or wrong? (in style of L.A.Noire) :slight_smile:

Anyway I found this nice website ambient-mixer.com that I was able to use to make an ambient soundtrack without hassle and well within the time I had reserved for the project. I was also able to pour in much more “nature” through the soundtrack than I originally intended.

"It’s an excellent puzzle game, complet, and clean job, with a good artistic direction in related to the theme.

Thank you, I especially like the artistic direction part because that’s how I like to think of myself. Well, we are all artists on blenderartists.org and especially in BGMC :slight_smile:

It’s not exactly clean if you dig through the code. Some of that is just pure chaotic because I didn’t really plan it through when I started making the functions. I refer to different element pieces by numbers, single characters, long names with capital letters and converting between these types has been major pain throughout the project. There are hacky stuff, some functions are cloned to many scripts even though I should have modulirized and linked them with “import”… But it works :slight_smile:

"Well I can’t say more than ““I like it””
It is alright gameplay, not really mine but I still I like it!
The graphic is really one of a kind, you have really find the graphic which fits the game very well!
Ofcourse there is some bugs and you could have added some more futures but it is kind a hard with just one week’s work so I will give you an 8! "

Thanks for taking the time to write so much. I know puzzle games aren’t for everyone. I prefer story and character games myself but given the time frame I wanted to try the puzzle genre so I could deliver something that had a good length of gameplay.

I tried to refine the graphics with painting the textures but I didn’t really have the time to paint all of them so I decided to keep the look unified with ramp colors. I think ramps are wonderful way to shade and I think they are underused in gaming, at least they please my eye a lot. :slight_smile:

I actually tried to fix all the bugs that people reported and I had some time to test the gameplay as well so I tried to minimize anything that was harmful to the gameplay experience. But I added some features like erasing pieces with RMB at the last minute and that’s why there could be still some inconsistencies about it in special situations. I will most likely make a finalized version (1.0?) after the BGMC where I fix and tie all the loose ends, maybe add levels for the fun of it :slight_smile:

"Wow! Simply awesome! That looks like alot of work (specially coding) for a week… the concept if good… and looks like you have made a great game… I have never played such a game so i have no idea for your source of inspiration…

Thanks! I planned pretty carefully and scaled down a lot of things so I could make this game feasible in one week. Knowing python coding helps of course but a lot of this I could have done with logic bricks alone especially if I had enough experience on them to use them swiftly :slight_smile:

Looking back at it now my game is pretty traditional and perhaps somewhat “playing safe” comparing it with all the wild and original ideas the other people submitted. But I got my inspiration from “nature” when I figured out I wanted to make a puzzle with “natural elements”. I played around with ideas of all shapes and forms of “Rubick’s cube” type of gameplay.

What always annoyed me about Rubick’s Cube is that you can’t just take out the pieces and place them where you need to, you need to twist and turn and mess up all the color squares you’ve beautifully lined up so far :smiley: So I wanted to make a game out of arranging the colors or “elements” according to more complex set of rules and make a game out of it.

Sooner or later I concluded that I only want to use one shape of pieces and limited my options to the platonic solids which guaranteed that one shape piece would fit all the slots and icosahedron gave me a palette of 20 pieces which I found a good amount.

Then I started listing the elements and checking how the rules might be. I started with kind of geology textbook “depth map” approach where the areas range from deep water to high mountains. I wanted to wrap the element “queue” around so I added “ice” element which could link back to water. Originally I had “deep water” colored dark blue but it turned out this was pretty boring because it only had 2 neighbors so I left it out. I added a bit of variance with “desert”, “fire” and “forest” and that’s about how I made the elements and rules for GaiaForge :slight_smile:

• You could have added an instruction menu into the game so that people who dont read posts can see it after loosing a round or two xD and without reading the instruction (like pieces have specific neighbours) the game felt boring… (yep thats my story :))"

I’m sorry about that, I knew it was bound to happen someone didn’t have the chance to read documentation. I should have included a text file in the .blend about the gameplay at least, but I know a “help” scene describing it would be best. I plan to do it for GaiaForge 1.0 though :slight_smile:

How I planned it to work is that first couple of levels should have been “tutorial levels” so that the player intuitively learns how the pieces can be placed. But that can be hard if you don’t know what the colored pointers mean so I can definitely see what you mean. Lately I’ve seen some of my friends play the game and it’s surprising how many ways they have when they start solving a level and missing some feature is easy.

Lots of these things are left out because when you make a game everything is so obvious to yourself you forget what it is like starting the game as a normal player. It’s especially hard with puzzle games where you should start with “easy” puzzles and then gradually build them harder and harder. This is a phenomenon I’ve seen a hundred times so I tried to step outside my role and also ask for feedback when I could :slight_smile:

I appreciate the feedback even at this stage :slight_smile:

"Cool game in every aspect. Very nice style and addictive gameplay.

Good job."

Nice to hear people liked playing GaiaForge. No matter how nice model or looks I would like to have, what gameplay experience I can actually offer to other people is what counts the most to me in making games :slight_smile: