[BGMC 18] CaveFly

I won’t have much time this week, so this is probably all it will ever be. If I have more time I plan to add a little more interest to the game-play, environment and possibly soundtrack.
So here we have, after about 8-9 hours of work, a game called Fallen Light.

The Aim: Bring light back into the caves

Screenshots:

And yes, it’s another of my procedural never-ending games. They’re quick and easy to make (when you know a little math). Many thanks to the various people who play-tested this today on the BGMC skype chat.

If you have any comments or criticisms, please tell me.

Download:
Version 0: CaveFly.blend (2.37 MB)
Version 1: BGMC CaveFly.zip
Version 2: BGMC CaveFly V2.zip
Version 3: BGMC_CaveFly V3.zip

Such difficult controls. But it looks very well, especially due to short creation time.

This game is simply awesome!
I hope to see it finished :slight_smile:

WOW!!! excellent. Got my vote FIN or NOT

All right, I managed to find a little more time to work on this. It now has a menu and slightly more interesting levels. I also fixed several bugs.

On my laptop I’m having issues with bursts of lag. I think it’s just my machine because the sounds keep updating (so the main loop is still running), but if anyone else has this issue, let me know.

Download:
BGMC18 CaveFly.zip (3.46 MB)

Video:

Setting the bar! The atmosphere and rocket effect really do it for me.

Wow! Nice mechanisms! O like the sounds and the map generator a lot! Keep doing!

Following! :smiley:

OKay! very nice game! because I’m so great at breaking things, I went through and found some glitches you m ay not have been aware of, most of them stem from the fact that the rocket isn’t clamped into the 2-dimensional plane. If you fly hard and are really lucky, you can “smash through” the walls and kinda fly off grid.

also, sometimes the stars go out. you can collect them if you fly through the area where they were, but there is no visual.

and lastly, not really a glitch, but you can complete the final part “return to home” by running into the bottom of the landing platform if it’s on an overhang.

I love the game. I wish I could do work like that

Cool game! It’s actually very much like what I was planning to do.
Might have to change my idea…

Thanks for the positive feedback

the rocket isn’t clamped into the 2-dimensional plane. If you fly hard and are really lucky, you can “smash through” the walls and kinda fly off grid.

Hmm. I haven’t been able to replicate this in testing, even when I crank the velocity limits up. Does this happen only on certain wall tile pieces?

I thought I had locked the ship’s motion in the relevant direction in the physics section. I may add something to the code to make sure it can’t move in that direction even more.

also, sometimes the stars go out. you can collect them if you fly through the area where they were, but there is no visual.

I suspect this is coupled to the first one. If the ship (and hence the background) moves towards the camera, the stars will vanish.
What blender version are you using? It shouldn’t make a difference, but I’d like to know.

and lastly, not really a glitch, but you can complete the final part “return to home” by running into the bottom of the landing platform if it’s on an overhang.

Fixed!
I haven’t updated the download yet, I’ll wait until I have some more changes.

I love the game. I wish I could do work like that

To be honest, I’m surprised how nicely this game has turned out feeling. It’s turned out with quite a cool atmosphere

the rocket isn’t clamped into the 2-dimensional plane. If you fly hard and are really lucky, you can “smash through” the walls and kinda fly off grid.

Fixed.

New Version for testing:
BGMC18 CaveFly V2.zip (2.9 MB)

Visually it’s perfect right now, but I think it needs a little more in gameplay to make it something people will want to keep playing beyond the first 5 minutes.

Some ideas:
Damage when you hit the walls, you can use the collision callbacks to do this, it also would give you a good chance to spawn some sparks or something like that to show the wall has been hit.

Fuel. You can top up by returning to base, or by picking up fuel canisters. It would make the player do a little more scouting around, make it feel more dangerous each time they fly away from base, they’ll be plotting their return journey as well as their exploration route.

These could make it more difficult, so you may want to turn down gravity a bit and reduce movement force so that it’s easier to control.

Also sound would make it feel much more immersive. :smiley:

I’ve just made a slight tweak to the visuals. Now when you turn on the light, there’s a little green growth that appears on the cave walls:

But yes, I’m super happy with the visuals.

I think it needs a little more in gameplay to make it something people will want to keep playing beyond the first 5 minutes.

I completely agree. I’ve been trying to nut this one out from as soon as I had the flight and environment in. I’ve already considered both fuel and damage. Here’s my thoughts on them:
Fuel I don’t want because it discourages exploration beyond the five stars. You don’t want to venture anywhere for fear of running out. On the other hand, it may encourage it if you have powerups around. But what do powerups look like? How do they fit into the environment? I can’t (yet) figure out any ones that would fit. And then, if you run out of fuel, what happens? You fall to the ground? You lose? I don’t know how that will fit in.

Damage isn’t something I want. I’m not sure why. Maybe because every game has it. Maybe because it introduces the concept of losing. In fact, there is already a punishment for sloppy flying, it’s called sound. There’s a clunk every time you hit something. Although you won’t notice it, it’s a punishment for hitting things the sound makes you … not want to. Also, the playing I’ve seen of my peers shows a skill variation from a single touch to sliding around the walls for five minutes. How you could balance damage and make it fun for all of them eludes me.

But keep throwing ideas at me, maybe one will stick.

Also sound would make it feel much more immersive

There should be sound. I’ve decided to remove the music as I think it killed the immersion. So listen out for the boosters and air on the next update (or delete the files in the music directory and listen).

I like that thought about the sound being the consquence. If you’re an achiever, you would do your best never to hear it. On the other hand, you might just want to gun it… rather like I did once I realized damage wasn’t an issue. That was fun. :slight_smile:

You could have hidden passages through the walls and have areas only accessible through them, with something visual or audiable to tip off players to the secret way.

You like them caves and collecting bright dots, eh?

You like them caves and collecting bright dots, eh?

Shhhh, don’t tell anyone.

Very cool. Liked the feel of the game and the art style.

New Version. Changes:

• Multiple Game Modes including one with fuel restrictions (fear the dark)
  • High Scores

I’m thinking of rewriting the map generator to support on-the-fly level generation (instead of statically generating the map at the beginning. I have some ideas that the current system isn’t able to support.

Download:
BGMC18 CaveFly V3.zip (2.94 MB)

Great work, keep @ it!