BGMC 21 discussion thread.

I’m getting an itch for a short project.

The word “itch” reminds me of itch.io, which is a great platform for game jam hosting. Maybe we should use it. :slight_smile:
https://itch.io/jams

I like the idea of underground and machines.

well this will be a first for me cant wait!

A civilization theme. :slight_smile:

It’s fine to use resources created by others, but you have to be very clear to state which you have used.
It might lose you some votes if you didn’t make the art yourself, but maybe not that much if the gameplay is really good.
1 week is not a lot of time, so it makes sense to use pre-made assets if you can. There’s a lot of stuff here on blender artists forum in the resources forum which you can use.

I’d love to do a civilization/sim city/ master of Orion style challenge. But I don’t know if it would be too difficult to flesh it out properly in a single week. Remaking the original civilization doesn’t seem like it would be impossible since it didn’t have any animations and only icons rather than sprites. Not sure that really fits well with a Blender contest though.

I think an RTS theme would be fun.

Yep, that’s one I’d enjoy, but it takes some quite advanced programming skills to have a large number of agents pathfinding around the map without traffic jams. I think it’s one of those themes which could put logic brick users at a big disadvantage.

I agree getting an enjoyable RTS going within a week will be hard. However, this isn’t really a theme rather a “mechanic”. Having a theme means people can choose which mechanics they want to use. I think underground could also be cool or maybe on the RTS note, something like “isometric”.

So when do we start ? :wink:

for rts,

if ray in front = friendly

if friendly is navigating to same place as you,
follow friendly instead for X frames works

you should put up a poll

Yeah, so far I see:

Underground,
Racing,
Physics,
Reflection

As much as I’d like to include fighting / beat 'em up I don’t think it’s going to be chosen.
Machines sounds good, but we already had robots.

I haven’t heard anything about dates yet. I assume that most people could make a try of it any time?
No-one can clear a whole week of their schedule and previous attempts to schedule it on a holiday have backfired as people had to spend time with their family. (Boo!) So it seems like any normal week would work out OK.

How about finals or tests? Is there any week that is a no-no because of them?

Well my vote is for underground right now, and any time should work for me.

I love demastered games! I think that would be an interesting theme, there could be limits on the texture resolutions (64x64 was the ps1s typical resolution.) and the maximum poly count in a scene (maybe around 10,000? For a ps1?)
Underground also sound neat! I hope I have time to participate this year!

+1 to underground reflection physics racing

I haven’t heard anything about dates yet. I assume that most people could make a try of it any time?
No-one can clear a whole week of their schedule and previous attempts to schedule it on a holiday have backfired as people had to spend time with their family. (Boo!) So it seems like any normal week would work out OK.

Yeah could go either way on this holiday. Although the 4th is a major holiday, I dont consider it a big “family” day. Just pop some fireworks with the kids that night, or go to a firework show. But since its a ‘major’ holiday, we get a free day off at work. Not sure if most normal families consider this a ‘family spending time together’ holiday. But my family is in no way qualified to establish what is ‘normal’. =)

Lets not forget steams summer sale starts in three days. :wink:
I think early - mid July would be a good time. Perhaps July 5? Having a poll to decide the start date like the one for the other BGMC (18? 19? 20? I don’t remember which) would also be nice.

I like underground idea, with starting competition starting at 25

Underground, Reflection and Racing sound fun, even combined. I may well start generating concepts.
The best dates for me are the week starting 26/7 or the week starting 3/7.

Ah yes! Finally! : D
I was waylaid just before the last one, so I’ve really been looking forward to this :slight_smile:
I really like the themes suggested so far, and would like to suggest another; Urgency.

Here’s a gamejam theme generator if anyone needs inspiration:

Edit: Dang it xD I was too late, but oh well, there’ll always be another : P Still looking forward to this one though :slight_smile: