BGMC 21 | The Lab

Well… there’s a top-secret underground lab. And zombies. And some scientist who wants you to break in, hack the mainframe, and get back out so he can have his files off the server. Oh, and you find lots of weapons too.

Basically, “The Lab” is a top down twin-stick shooter (But with your keyboard/mouse instead of analogue sticks). I started work on it this morning because I was busy setting off fireworks yesterday when the competition started. :wink:

Good luck to everyone!

the green things are zombies by the way, not giant mutant pickles. :wink:

I think you should make them giant mutant pickles. It’s something different to the thousands of zombie games.

I like the progress so far, I hope you’ll be able to add armatures and meshes to make the characters look human.
I think you should introduce knock back from the player’s gun. So you can keep the zombies away from you, that’s a common feature of zombie games/films because once the zombie gets you they can grapple you and bite you and then it’s all over. Add a state to the zombie so that if it gets hit it goes in to that state for a second and moves away from the player instead of towards him. You could also get it to do a stumble animation. Then it goes back to the chasing animation.

Also there could be a grapple where if they touch you play a wrestling animation on both player and zombie, player can shake the mouse to get free and knock down the zombie. Use states to keep behavior from overlapping.

Anyway, it’s an idea. If you decide to keep the giant mutant pickles that’s cool too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback!

I think you should make them giant mutant pickles. It’s something different to the thousands of zombie games.

haha, that’s a good idea. I could save some time animating and it could make my game more humorous. Plus, having several animated zombies on screen could kill performance on low end systems.

I like the progress so far, I hope you’ll be able to add armatures and meshes to make the characters look human.
I think you should introduce knock back from the player’s gun. So you can keep the zombies away from you, that’s a common feature of zombie games/films because once the zombie gets you they can grapple you and bite you and then it’s all over. Add a state to the zombie so that if it gets hit it goes in to that state for a second and moves away from the player instead of towards him. You could also get it to do a stumble animation. Then it goes back to the chasing animation.

thats a good idea, right now you just have to turn and run when they get too close. knock back would be a good thing for me to implement, I’ll do that today.

I also need to make a player model, if only to show what direction I’m facing. In the video I got confused and disoriented as to where my character was facing and shot in the wrong direction.