[ BGMC28 ] To The Surface (Now with beta download)

for the colliders in upbge you can loop through a list of them and suspendPhysics() and restorePhysics() by only looping through x objects per frame
this is how all my plants have colliders in my world canvas tool and I maintain 60 fps

loop = 100
if for i in range(loop):
    target = own['terrainDict'][own['indexKey']]
    if ship.getDistanceTo(target)<min distance and 'physics' not in target:
        target['physics'] = true
        target.restorePhysics()
     elif 'physics' in target:
        del target['physics']
        target.suspendPhysics()

own['indexKey']+=1
    if own['indexKey'] > len(own['terrainDict'])-1: 
        own['indexKey']=0

That would indeed be useful if I had lots of colliding objects, but currently I have very few:

1. a high poly terrain physics mesh
  2. three objects that make up the player ship
  3. A maximum of 60 particles from the players engines (dust on the ground)

Unfortunately all of these are on screen at the same time, so disabling any of them would be noticeable. However, if I split up the terrain physics mesh or add more objects, then I may well end up doing something like that (or more likely: relying on the physics engines broadphase to do something similar for me)

Now with a logbook so you can see the places you find:

I now need to:

1. Make the menu
  2. Make the ending
  3. Make the map

Hopefully I’ll have #3 done by the end of the day. If not, I guess the map won’t be very large or interesting. Let’s see what happens.

Make a GTA V style map for it where it’s all gray but the places you discover appear.

I was actually meaning the map that the player explores, but a mini-map would indeed be extremely useful. I drew a rough outline of the map, and proceeded to immediately get lost in it. 1000bu is HUGE. Unfortunately I’ll probably run out of time to implement it.

Anyway, I built some logbook entries a little more interesting than the previous ones. I won’t show them all now because that will spoil the game for when you guys play it, but here’s a one of the new areas:

I’m going to run out of time on this project. I only have a couple of the areas I planned built, and still have to do a fair bit to get it release-worthy: I developed this on 0.1.6, but on latest UPBGE the ship leaves it’s lights behind because of the linked ship group. There isn’t much I use from UPBGE, but in UPBGE the lights flicker all the time, so it looks like I’ll have to append the ship into the level scene (argh).
Fortunately it runs perfectly on my old laptop (60FPS with 70% of time spent outside), so there shouldn’t be any problems even on low-spec hardware.

I converted it to work in current UPBGE master. I also added a main menu:

Now I need to add an ending and continue building the level.

1 Like

New Video:

And a beta version for you guys to test. Don’t bother to go past the “Garden” I haven’t added anything else yet.

All feedback is appreciated.

Download:

I have 9.5Mb of audio so it isn’t quite within the forums filesize. Yes I think the backing track is worth its filesize.